Iris Motion Sensors not pairing

Run into my first snag: I have 3 Iris Motion Sensors (the new ones, 3326-L), and they won't show up. I've reset them (held down button while inserting battery), removed them from ST, and also unplugged the ST hub and removed batteries - not being discovered by HE. Any tricks?

what's your ratio of zigbee devices to zigbee repeaters?

I was able to fix my zigbee pairing issues by switching to a different channel.

So far I have two osram bulbs. But I've literally held the sensors right up next to the hub, with no luck.

I'll try changing the Zigbee channel.

thats not the problem, osram bulbs refuse to pass the zigbee security key to back to a device that's trying to pair....
unscrew both osrams whilst pairing any new zigbee devices.

2 Likes

Geeze seriously? This explains a lot of frustration over the past two years.

Yup, i found this out by "accident" in my dev environment when I couldn't get a iris contact sensor to join, the only other deice on that hub was an osram bulb, so i fired up my zigbee sniffer, and lo and behold:
iris gets 16 bit id from hub via broadcast, picks up the osram as a parent along the way.
iris requests the encryption key from osram, osram forwards to hub, hub returns key to osram, osram drops the packet...
iris contact just spins and spins in discovery waiting for an APS key that it never receives...

6 Likes

Well thanks, that worked like a charm.

I guess in the past when I finally had success after fiddling with it for hours, was because it must've eventually taken a different route.

1 Like

Well that explains slow Zigbee pairing. I only have 9 or 10 Osram bulbs, and 2 are within 5 feet of the hub!

3 Likes

And for that reason, I’ve peppered the house with Iris plugs and am in the process of replacing all Osrams with Sengleds.

Sengleds and Iris plugs confirmed to repeat?

I'd be interested in the Sengleds if there was an adjustable white version.

The Iris plugs will repeat zigbee and have a z-wave repeater also. The Sengleds do NOT repeat, which is what is appealing for me.

1 Like

Agreed! I have grown to really dislike Smart Bulbs that repeat poorly. They can really screw up your mesh network. The fact that Sengled bulbs do not repeat is a win in my book as well!

2 Likes

Hey guys, I'm trying one of the Sengled (classic, 5000k) bulbs in an effort to eventually eliminate my Osrams. I hate to sound pedantic but do these have a built-in "ramp up/down" when turning off and on? I kinda miss the smooth on/off, and the Sengled just goes straight to the point.

Got it - use Set Level instead of On/Off. These have some smooth dimming built in.

2 Likes

Well this thread went off topic. No other tips for getting iris motion sensors to work?

I have dozens of them Moving from smartthings. The first one went flawlessly last night, but I can't pair the second one to save my life today. Very frustrating. This is a total show-stopper.

How many zigbee repeaters do you have and where are they?

well I only have 1 on the HE network right now. I'm holding this motion sensor that I'm trying to pair 3ft from the hub however. No dice. so far.

I've removed the battery and re-inserted while holding the tamper button. Light turns red then goes out.

I remove the battery and re-insert. It blinks green a couple of times, but nothing in HE.

Tried changing the channel. Still nothing.

If you only have one zigbee device on he, and you can't pair one of those, then one or more of the following are true.
That specific sensor hasn't let go of st yet and needs a factory reset.
You have channel interference, be that zigbee, WiFi, or both.
You will and should move most if not all your zigbee repeaters to he before you start pairing battery devices.

1 Like

I thought these blinked yellow when they werent paired, and green on battery insert when they were.
I don't recall red being in the mix.
Trust me they work just fine, I have at least 10 of them in production right now.