Iris Contact Sensors

I wondered about magnet use and alignment for the v3s without magnets being in the same boat. This is a video for Iris v2 contact sensor installation but likely still useful for the v3s. https://youtu.be/9xV_JC39l3I

I had all of my first gen iris contacts and motion sensors fall of the network one morning...had to reset and repair them all. Replaced them all with V2’s soon as I could!

2 Likes

I was wondering about the other side of the sensor. the pics just make it look like it's one side. and not the other side which comes in contact with the other.

As @ogiewon indicated, the "other side" is a magnet. You can use any magnet. That particular ebay seller doesn't provide the magnet with the contact sensor.

As an aside, contact sensors work by having a magnetic switch, called a reed switch, on the inside. When sensor is close to a magnet (any magnet), the switch is attracted by the magnet to be in the closed position. When the sensor is removed from the proximity of the magnet, the switch reverts to being in the open position.

1 Like

Oh I'm sorry! I thought the magnets were for securing against the door or something. My apologies!!

1 Like

No worries. BTW, magnets really are very cheap.

Do the magnets usually come in any kind of housing? or just normal off the shelf magnets?

All shapes all sizes. I like these really thin circular rare earth magnets that I just embed into the door jamb, and paint over.

1 Like

thanks! I'm going to see what they have 3D printable when it comes to housings.

Just as a note some of these sensors have whats called a Hall effect sensor Hall effect sensor - Wikipedia

While functionally the same the are electronically different.

3 Likes

@makirules

I purchased these magnets, from and ebay seller, They are very strong. You'll get about an inch margin to trigger the sensor.

Rather than a 3d enclosure as they are very small, just spray paint them an appropriate color for your decor.

3 Likes

Thanks. Just ordered a lot also. What batteries do I need?
I also ordered some magnets

Here you go...

Awesome thank you!

Mind elaborating?

Sure. :slight_smile:

I have a very strong Z-Wave mesh. I also don't worry about frequency interference where I'm at, and the option for associations is really nice for things like closets, where when I open the door for it, the conditions will pretty much always be to turn it on. More or less (anecdotally) I've had better reliability with Z-Wave sensors, both with battery life, and communications, than any of the Zigbee sensors I've tried. Again --- that's anecdotal. I'm not going to touch on things like security, or Z-Wave LR.

That being said, I do use Zigbee sensors for non-critical automations (Did I leave a window open? Do my dogs need water?)

Thanks, very interesting to hear, as I have not deployed any z-wave yet (although I have a garage door sensor that needs to get installed).

you can get rechargeable cr2's on amazon. much better than trashing the environment and wasting money on 1-time-use cells

asin B07RGQFBN1 on amazon

1 Like

Yes, I like the EBL brand. Soshine is also good if you can find them

Can you let me know the specific reset instructions? I've been trying to no avail...