iPhone Actionable Text Notification - Sorta

Sorry to post two “cool things” I did in about two weeks, but after looking for a solution for actionable notifications on my iPhone that didn’t involve another app, I ended up with the below.

I use my own email setup, but sendmail or any other mail service/app/driver sending to a phone’s text email address (eg. vtext.com) will work. Other than that, just an iPhone and a simple shortcut (using the standard iOS URL scheme) is all that’s needed.

If all the vehicles are gone and either garage door gets left open or opens, I send the below message to my phone:

“Close Garage” is just a simple shortcut that closes both garage doors.

iOS 17 does allow for cleaning up the URL scheme - to make it appear as a standard hyperlink (add link), but sadly that’s not supported in iOS messages (yet). Regardless, this gives me what I need - the ability to close the garage without having to pull up a separate app, go to the specific room, etc. I suppose I could just tell Siri to close the garage, but this is easier while connected to Bluetooth, on a call or in a meeting.

12 Likes

could you please explain how did you did it in details?

Do you thinks it could be possible to create similiar notification/action for turning ON my A/C once i left my work in the road to my home?

Could be nice in summer or even when a hot day if Temp is over XXX degress, someting like that

I used Espresense on Home Assistant through HADB. I have an ESP32 in the garage, and adjusted the absorption factor and start counting distance to pick up a long range Blue Charm iBeacon in each of the vehicles from as far down the driveway as possible.
For your purposes, if you have an iPhone, you can create an automation based on when you leave work, and set up a maker api or rule machine endpoint to turn on your AC accordingly. Not sure about android devices, but I gotta figure it’s easier on an android than on an iPhone.

1 Like

i just learned a lot o interesting things after reading your response. thanks, i'll take a look

1 Like

TBH, I’m new to Hubitat as of 2 months ago and new to HA as of a few weeks ago, I love my Hubitat - though HA seems more like a mother-in-law - you have to have it around, but, you know…
I was an early Vera adopter and wrote plenty of code/drivers for that system, but migrated to SmartThings a few years ago. But I have been so busy with work for the last couple years that I let my home control system deteriorate as quickly as ST has.
The silver lining - there is so much out there now compared to when I started home automating 10+ years ago. There’s so much more to build on - and so many more data points to connect - I have over 140 physical devices on my Hubitat and my cpu loads still stay low. .
Again, I love my Hubitat - about to order 2 more - one to upgrade from the C-7, and one as a backup.

AHAH totally agree.

same here...in fact, im also migrating from ST after using them over +7 yrs.

My migration to the "black side" -thats how we used to call hubitat- began because i want to use 100% homekit trought an old ipad wall mounted on my living wall..so i decided to start using HA and now im running HOOBS using an old RPi4 for my Ring cameras

Now, after looking some examples of "Mushrooms cards" dashboards from HomeAssistant and realizing how they clean and minimalistic can be..maybe i can discard homekit

Edit: i found this tutorial..Mushroom Cards Home Assistant: Build a Clean UI - SmartHomeScene

1 Like

Now I have something new to dig into. Thanks.

1 Like