IP Camera integration

Also the amount of cameras it can support is amazing

Couldn’t agree more. I find it to be well worth the price difference.

1 Like

Right now I'm looking for instructions for how to get the Camect hub to send a message to Hubitat to turn on some lights. Is this documented?

Anybody ever use the Camect Connect App?

I do.... SImply pull the attribute (motion and what that motion is... skunk, deer, person, car etc) and send it to your notification device.... "Skunk moving on %device%" and then turn backyard lights on, maybe the rachio controller.

It looks like there are no instructions. There are no technical documents of any kind. Do you know how much detective work it took to even confirm the hub must be connected to a network? Sure, sure, it's common sense. But it needs to be said. ESPECIALLY for this price.

1 Like

Found in less than 10 seconds of going to their site.

Ha! My mistake, thank you. I expected to find docs on the Camect website. Tell me. Why Google rather than the website? Just wondering.

Click the getting started button under users on www.camect.com

Everything is there. Though one thing I agree with is it should be Camect Quick Start Guide and Manual. They simply store the docs on google docs.

Are there any mounting features on the bottom side of the case?

Yeah, screw hook holes.... Also the nice things is that even though it has decent room on the built in SSD, I have everything being saved to our house raid...

This is a valuable thread, as it presents more than one solution to the camera integration issue. I'm looking at the one below now, even though I don't know if I can implement it. I wish the Hubitat Docs writer would write it up. I have to say, he's one of the better tech writers I've seen in a long time.

I'm not sure that Camect is for me.

Another Camect fan here! Only limitation is the 24MB limit on the “regular” hub. If you contact the Camect group, they also make a unit that handles 64MB of camera resolution (4k cameras at full resolution use up 8MB). As many others here that user Camect do, they only use Camect for its incredible AI Object Recognition, streaming to the Camect at perhaps 1k (2MB) or 2k (4MB) per camera, while recording to another NVR at full resolution (in my case at 4k). This is only limited by what your network data rate and NVR can handle of course. If you search the Hubitat forum for “Camect” you will find a plethora of information on how community members have integrated Camect with Hubitat with a multitude of use cases.

As @rlithgow1 mentioned, they simply store the docs on google docs. They also maintain a very active forum there as well. The Camect staff is incredibly responsive to any questions or problems brought up in their user group. I got into Camect when it was a Indegogo project. But what really makes it for me at this time (much like the Hubitat community) is the level of support and involvement that the Camect staff (like the Hubitat community) provides in their user group (and they are usually very, very quick to respond). Other than what these two hubs can actually do (meaning the actual features and capabilities), it is this support that really separates these two hubs from other home automation and security products. Fan boy rant over, lol.

1 Like

The work involved in setting up Blue Iris and then having camera motion act as a trigger in Hubitat is 95%+ done in Blue Iris and the the documentation for that is Blue Iris documentation not Hubitat documentation.

Here is the implementation on the HE side:

On the HE side, there is really nothing to it (as shown in the screen shot above). There is significantly more work to do in the Blue Iris software. Surely you are not suggesting that HE user documentation include instructions for how to setup a third party piece of software such as Blue Iris?

1 Like

As a design engineer, I learned that you never plug two connectors together by two different manufacturers, because if there's a problem, each will blame the other, and no one will fix it.

Me, I'm grateful for any written docs at all. As I wrote above, HE has some of the most professional tech docs I've seen in a long while. The docs were a factor in my choice of HE. Still, not every i is dotted. I might have said instead, I wish that SOMEBODY SOMEWHERE would write it up, in a professional (intelligible) manner. To be honest, I miss the days when that could be expected.

My mission is to use my camera as a motion detector. I'll make it happen. I'm going to use the notes posted above by Ranchitat, which you pointed out. If I have questions, they'll be very specific. Thanks.

"To learn, we must first admit that we do not already know." I admit it.

The docs can appear on the Camect website and still be stored elsewhere. There seems to be a disconnect between the Camect marketing people (website) and the Camect engineering people (product).

Considering both are the same guy (Arup) I'm not so sure about that. I also don't have a problem with the website linking to google docs. Just because it's not how you would do it doesn't make it bad.

So you expect Hubitat (or even lets say LG) to provide documentation to every device that works with it? Ummmm...... I'm not sure how that's possible. That's like saying that Ford should have manuals for every aftermarket part on the market for their F-150.... It's not Ford's responsibility to have another companies documentation, nor is it even their responsibility to say that the alternator, part number 1001-20220 from Big John's alternator manufacturing company should be compatible. That's up to big john...

Then he's working at cross purposes.

Please. That's... how to put it... incorrect.

Obviously not for him. The links are on the main page, they are pulled from google... Does it matter?

1 Like