IOS App, slow presence reporting for arrival

I am switching to the Hubitat App for presence reporting. When I leave home, it triggers away and performs my "leaving home" actions well, but when I arrive home, it seems to take an extraordinarily long time to show me as present.

1 Like

When that occurs, what location does your device report it is in? Most of these problems are related to the phone not using the GPS radio constantly to conserve battery power.

Both our phones are on the latest iOS update and our Geofence area is set to the end of our block. Very rarely does it not detect we are home by the time we open the garage door. How long is an extraordinarily long time?

It sounds like you may have had something prior to Hubitat's mobile as your presence sensor? If so have you thought about using both and tie them together with something like Combined Presence? When I first installed the Hubitat Mobile app and tried out the presence sensor I installed Combined Presence to use with Life360 and have been using it that way since as there are times (updates) where we get logged out of the Hubitat app and don't notice until it doesn't update its presence, there have also been numerous times where Life360 failed to update its location too and we had to click the Life360 refresh button to correct that if we noticed before leaving and returning.

The Combined Presence has kept my wife from walking into a blaring alarm a few times which would have affected her acceptance greatly, so it has definitely been worth having both forms of presence.

2 Likes

I've often considered using combined presence as well. Seems life360 delays more and more often lately. I mean, I get it, but this is just supposed to work. Right? In a perfect world.

I think there is a known issue with the current iOS app and the geofence.

Right now is a perfect example. My presence for mobile app device in HE is showing as 'not present'. When I look at the mobile app, I can see my location in the center of my geo fence, I also see "Inside of geofence" on that same view. I restarted the app, no change. I went into settings on the app and pushed a geo event, no change. It has worked well the last few days and suddenly decided to fail again today. Are there any log gathering suggestions for this present situation to assist in trouble shooting?

It seems like whenever the phone sleeps that the geofence goes to away for some reason. Enabling "High Accuracy Presence" in the iOS app fixes it at the expense of battery life, but it shouldn't be necessary. The Home app maintains presence properly without killing the battery. For that matter, the HE app used to maintain presence perfectly for me prior to 1.0.5. I would have to force close it to keep it from killing the battery, but presence sensing was maintained. It was still better than the current situation which is kill the battery or have your device keep saying you departed and arrived every 5-10 minutes. The wife found that REALLY ANNOYING

1 Like

I started off using the iOS Hubitat app for presence reporting and found it to be inconsistent on arrivals. I have since switched to the SmartThings Arrival Sensor which has been reliable. The only thing about the ST Arrival Sensor is that you have to replace the CR2032 battery every now and then (6+ months for me) and the battery contacts can be a pain.

1 Like

Hi @Patrick @support,

I am experiencing really late geofence events when arriving home. So, late the alarm goes off.
It started happening when I upgraded the iOS app to 1.06.

I have tried turning on the High Accuracy option and since then updated the os to 13.3. Nothing has fixed it. My hub is updating to 2.1.7.127 now but previously hub reboots haven't helped.

Any ideas? Its getting really dull as on average I it probably takes two minutes from triggering of the alarm to the hub realising that I am home dis-arming itself. Phone is an iPhone 10s.

Many thanks and Merry Christmas

Tim