Invert Switch State

I don't think he meant it that way :smiley:

It would be a little convoluted but if I were you I’d set up a virtual switch and use rule machine to sync everything that way you get the proper state.

1 Like

I started down that route but I believe it will require a minimum of four separate rules, which is less than elegant - in my opinion.

Thx

The switch is a Remotec ZFM-80.

Isn't having to ask if there is a community driver terribly inefficient? Where is the repository of community drivers that I can peruse?

For the most part, GitHub. Just search on Hubitat and the device.

1 Like

Does Hubitat's driver for this expose a way to configure the "switch type" parameter? If not, use the Basic Z-Wave Tool (just throwing this out there; feel free to ask if you're not sure how) to get the current value for parameter 1, which from what you describe sounds like is wrong. The manual has values 1-4 for different switch types, so I'd try the one that sounds best or at least one it's not currently using to see if that helps.

Regarding community drivers, it probably won't be necessary in this case. But when there's a device I'm not sure about, a search on the forum normally helps (or doesn't, but at least I have an answer). Not so much with this one since it's natively supported and has been for a while, but sometimes...

Good luck!

1 Like

Well, since each author of a user driver by definition is a user, you are at their mercy on where they put the driver. Most put it on github, some put it in Hubitat Package Manager, some just post it in this forum, etc. There is no "one place" to look nor will there ever be.

2 Likes

Now that you've provided that information, we might get somewhere helping you with a more straight-forward solution than you originally envisioned. I thought this was interesting, particularly so because who wrote it ...

2 Likes

The github link returns a 404.

Ideally, there would be open source code for a virtual switch and a way to associate/link a virtual switch with a physical device. From that point, inverting the status would be manageable, I imagine.

True. And you probably didn't catch the reference since you're new here. But the person that wrote that driver, and presumably still uses a relay for his fireplace exactly like you are trying to get to work with Hubitat is a key player on the Hubitat staff. I'd suggest posting in the feature request section asking for a driver for this device.

It also seems worth pursuing that even without a driver, it could be possible using a ZWave Tool or some such to set the parameters on your device to permanently be closed with "on" and open when "off".

1 Like

Can you recommend a Zwave Tool that is compatible with the HE C-7?

I’m sorry I cannot, as I’ve not yet had the need for one. But could this one possibly work? I know lots of people manipulate their ZWave devices and can probably give a better answer than I. Let’s go ahead and tag @mike.maxwell to see if he has a recommendation for making your relay work without the need for a rule to reverse its logic.

I second the virtual switch idea. Sync the switch to the inverted virtual switch (switch turns off/turn virtual switch on OR virtual switch turns off/turn switch on). Then you would control it through the virtual switch on your dashboard

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Botched1/Hubitat/master/Drivers/GE-Jasco%20Z-Wave%20Plus%20Switch/GE-Jasco%20Z-Wave%20Plus%20Switch.groovy in this driver he has the option to invert switch state.

That's true, but that's for GE / jasco switches - and it is supported in the hardware of those devices.

He has a remotec zfm-80, so I don't think the driver will help him.

I seriously doubt anyone's going to make a new driver for an old, one off device like that. So his best bet is to figure out how to do it based off of SmartThings drivers, or the basic Z-Wave tool.

1 Like

Or just change the wiring on the relay so you don't have to go through convoluted things to reverse the logic.

1 Like

Is there an open source driver for a virtual switch that links to a physical device?

Thx

You can't really do it in just a virtual driver as a driver can't easily talk to other device drivers. You really need a driver plus an app.

So in that case you might as well just use an rm rule plus a virtual switch.

1 Like

Not a driver that I know of, but you could use Simple Automations to accomplish this

1 Like