International Cat Day

Lovable furry companions, but the home automation sensors tend to give them too much attention.

Share your ideas on how to make the sensors less sensitive to their motion.

GIF by JustViral

2 Likes

I use a snoot!

1 Like

I'd love to know how to make sensors more sensitive to them. I've not managed to find a sensor which is reliably triggered by a cat. I want to find a way of being notified when one is stuck in the garage.

My Aeotec multisensor 6s have never suffered a cat trigger at all.

Zigbee sensors are very sensitive. Our cats are super reliable for vacation lighting.

2 Likes

I was actually going to install the community app to randomize our lights and then I thought... why bother!

1 Like

Any particular ZigBee sensors? I've only got an Aqara one, and that hasn't been triggered noticeably.

I have a house full of Iris 3326-L but those may no longer be available. Our engineers have tested many Zigbee motion sensors:

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=List_of_Compatible_Devices

Others may be able to share their preferred brands/models.

Bosch ISW-ZDL1-WP11G sensors have been great for ignoring pets. I have yet to see any false triggers from zoomies or jumping around. These are my main sensors for active parts of the house.
Sonoff SNZB-03 is great for detecting them, although that wasn't my intention. A ceiling-mounted one in a hallway catches any of our beasts roaming nearby.

1 Like

This is one of the things I do to keep my cats from triggering automations:

Works very well.

1 Like

I use the built in zone motion control app:
Screenshot from 2021-08-07 19-28-20

Rarely hear it mentioned in the forum, but I have used the app for a long time and love it. HSM monitors motion inside the house when armed. Used to get alerts of a break-in and have HSM go into alarm state, when my cats set of the motion sensors. The zone motion control app solved that problem, and I can still use my inside motion sensors in HSM.

3 Likes

It sorta flies under the radar or something. I use it in a couple specific places, and it works great. I just wish I could group contact sensors too as these are fairly interchangeable in certain situations.

2 Likes

AmazonSmile : Ecolink Z-Wave PIR Motion Detector Pet Immune, White - PIRZWAVE2.5-ECO : Electronics

this one never triggered by my tornados.

they are slow.. witch is ok for this . I had to get some Zigbee ones right underneath for my lights.

I have the same problem with my outdoor motion detectors triggering on Possums and Armadillo's. Interesting that the Foxes I have seen on my cameras never trigger the same motion sensors. Maybe I could borrow your cats to tend to my possums and armadillos LOL.

1 Like

International Cat day + home automation! :hugs:
Motion sensors in in covered litter box.
Send notification when motion starts
“Fluffy it preparing a gift for you!”
When motion stops
“Gift has been downloaded, please retrieve”
Send notifications to ex.

10 Likes