Interactive Dimming

Yet another Noob question...

I'm trying to set up interactive dimming capability, controlling a group of bulbs with a 2-button dimmer switch, but I can't get my brain around how to use the rule machine to do this.

What I want to be able to do is have the light group fade toward 100% or 0% (depending on which button is used) at a defined rate until the button is released or the level reaches the limit of 100% or 0%.

The lights are all Sylvania/Osram lightify bulbs, and the Dimmer is the Sylvania/Osram Lightify 2-button switch.

Any advice on how to do this?

Start the Groups and Scenes. I think this might be what you’re really looking for.

I've looked at that, and it doesn't seem to do what I want. With a scene, I can activate a paced transition to a pre-defined level. I want to use the switch to adjust the level up or down with the ending level fixed when I release the button (like many of the hard-wired dimmer switches do).

Do you get a pushed and released event within Hubitat for your 2 button controller? If yes, then you should be able to use something like @stephack's amazing Advanced Button Controller (ABC) App. I use the ABC App along with Lutron Pico remotes to peform the exact functions you're talking about.

With Pico, I use the following events/actions via ABC

• Button 1 Pushed - Turn ON a set of Zigbee Bulbs (Sengled Element Color Plus)
  • Button 1 Held - StartLevelChange("Up")
  • Button 1 Released - StopLevelChange()
  • Button 5 Pushed - Turn OFF a set of Zigbee Bulbs (Sengled Element Color Plus)
  • Button 5 Held - StartLevelChange("Down")
  • Button 5 Released - StopLevelChange()

This requires that your Smart Bulbs or Switches support the StartLevelChange and StopLevelChange commands. Test this using the Device page in the Hubitat UI.

It also requires that your button controller support Pushed, Held, and Released events.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

That is exactly what I'm looking for... The bulb commands have the start and stop level change methods (supposedly... it's the generic controller), and the switches do report back the "held" and "released" states.

Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.