Integration with Mitsubishi mini-split systems

I am installing a 2 heat pump, 4 head Mitsubishi Hyper Heat ductless system into my (soon to be smart) condo. My contractor is recommending Honeywell D6 Pro WiFi thermostats and I know that Mitsubishi offers the Kumo cloud via WiFi adapters. Any advice on the best way to integrate with Hubitat? I'd much prefer, of course, a non-cloud control solution. Do drivers or integrations exist for either of these systems?

I am also willing to develop a driver / integration if necessary (or adapt an existing one.)

Thanks!

You should check if the Mitsubishi PAC-US444CN-1 Thermostat Adapter is compatible with your new system. It permits regular HVAC thermostats to control mini-split systems. If it compatible, you can use a compatible z-wave or zigbee thermostat.

Did you figure out how to do this?

aaiyar's solution seems expensive, you would need to buy a thermostat & thermostat adapter for each blower. This is the cheapest thermostat I can find Radio-Thermostat-Z-Wave-Module-RTZW-02 at Amazon, with id: B07GWBLD83

~ $200 per blower seems really high.

Has anyone tried the smart IR method?
smart-accessories-remotec-remotec-z-wave-ir-extender-for-air-conditioners from the z-wave website.

No, I haven't really reached a conclusion. I'm leaning towards the Kumo Cloud modules because they're supported by the manufacturer and I'll get full control over the heads from my phone. I believe I can use IFTTT to at least turn the system on and off, which will allow me some control of the system from Hubitat, but not really the ability to change setpoints. I'm considering reverse-engineering the Kumo wifi protocol when I get time, if that's even possible.

It's certainly possible a smart IR solution will work, since it seems like the Honeywell D6 Pro's just send out Mitsubishi-compatible IR. I'm not sure I want to go around putting IR emitters everywhere.

You could use the relatively inexpensive Broadlink RM3 Mini (black Bean) to do the control with IR... And it just so happens that I just released a native driver for the Broadlink devices AND an application to control a Remote Controlled HVAC system... (currently supports Fujitsu and Generic units)

The Apps/Drivers are HERE

I also did a quick search for the Mitsubishi IR protocol and it seems to be adequately documented and it should be fairly easy to add specific support for these units to the app...

3 Likes

I have released a beta of the app with support for two different revisions of the Mitsubishi IR protocol... HERE

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.