Integration Request - RainMachine

And how it will recognize a drunky vs you? I have Rachio, honestly I removed the integration from HE, as @Ryan780 said , it's self-sufficient, but I heard some here had motions for deers eating flowers, very valid point.

Self Sufficient. That's my entire problem with sprinklers.

I use EtherRain, similar to all the rest but even less need to look at it. It's got no lights or buttons (other than a flickering Ethernet light tucked up under it.)

28%20AM

I did create a Driver for it and it works but I've never found a use for it. I have no deer or pee'rs. There are several products that manage the schedule that the EtherRain controller manages. I chose LawnCheck on day 1 figuring I'd pull it all in Local later. Haven't had any need. The Controller visits LawnCheck once a day and pulls down that day's schedule. I picked some values I wanted for an imaginary maximum water day and then put into LawnCheck percentages of that for each month. (If Sept has the max water days, then Feb maybe should be 30%) LawnCheck has the weather data already, does the calculations and creates a number-of-minutes each valve should run for that day. Every early early morning, EtherRain gets a string like this: 560:0:0:0:0:5:0:0:0 (in 560 minutes, valve 5 should go on for 5 mins.)

I can't think of anything to pull into Hubitat to enhance my life. I got this EtherRain back in 2013 and I haven't touched it since.. really.. never. I made one change on LawnCheck when I began using valve 8.

I do like the idea of anti-deer, but I don't have those problems yet. It's so completely self sufficient, but via my custom driver I do have the option of integrating Motion. :smiley:

These are all functionally equivalent to a Photon & a relay board :smiley:

59%20AM
16%20AM

Plus 30 hours of Photon programming.

1 Like

Hi All, First post and First week with Hubitat :grinning: I can see where I would want to pause/stop watering when the garage door opens so our legs don't get wet when getting into our cars (Grass goes right up to the driveway). Alternatively pause/stop watering when the backdoor opens to let the dog out.

1 Like

If you have a Rachio, is very easy to accomplish your request, couple of rules and done. But I read the best time to watering the grass is early in the morning, my house do it a 4am until 5am, no one gets wet at that time.

Unfortunately, I get up at 4:10...

I see, do you have rainmachine then, not sure but maybe if they have ifttt integration you could create some virtual switches and use ifttt to integrate until you get something more complete.

I guess I could have been a little more clear :grinning:. Yes, I have a RainMachine. I saw a new firmware drop (for the RM) recently and I believe they now support pausing current watering cycles. I'll look into ifttt and see what I can come up with. Thanks!

There seems to be a SmartThings handler available, so perhaps someone more talented to myself could port it?

2 Likes

Has anyone Attempted the port from ST?

My usecase is pretty simple, want to add a condition to my Motion Flood lights that prevents the sprinklers from triggering the Lights

I bring my RainMachine into Home Assistant, and then pull it over into Hubitat. Was easier that way as HA already has native support for RainMachine (on mine it auto detected it, asked me if I wanted to add it - no further action or drivers needed).

I have a SmartThings Hub (no longer using it) that I tried installing the SmartThing_RainMachine integration on. I keep getting an error. But I'm not sure it will even do what I'm looking for.

My need is to be able to tell if the Rain Machine is paused and/or pause the Rain Machine from HE. From the screenshots I saw for the ST app, it is more of a zone by zone control. But looking at the code for the DH it looks like it should work for pausing. Any ideas?

Resume and Pause are commented out/non-functional in the smartthings driver.

I'm not sure if pause is available on the Home Assistant integration either - I'll look when I get home.

Thanks. If it is available I might just set up HA just for that. I've been looking through the API documentation and, while I am not an expert at these things, my impression is that Pause/Resume is not a supported function.

I just looked quickly, and didn't see any obvious way to pause it in HA either. I'll look harder when I have time, though.

I did finally find that Pause is in the API; it is "/watering/pauseall" with the duration specified in seconds. Setting the duration to 0 will unpause the watering. Now I just need to figure out how to use it!

I have a door that swings out into the path of a sprinkler, but it's often left open and forgotten about when it's hot (we water at night because in the morning it wakes the kids up). The ideal for me would be a notification when disaster is imminent and to pause or defer the relevant zone if I don't fix it in time.

Hopefully the algorithms in RainMachine would compensate for the adjustment later on.

If I could come up with an automation relevant to when it rains I might also consider integrating the irrigation schedule into that, because water is water.

I was looking for RainMachine integration, mainly because their skill for Alexa is not available for countries other than US/UK, and I'm in Italy. I saw that Rachio was officially supported by HE so I hoped RainMachine was supported too.

I don't want to rely on Alexa and cloud for my main devices, that's why I chose Hubitat. Hope someone skilled enough could port the ST handler to HE.

Announcement from another thread: