Installation Tips and Setup for Kwikset 912

Members,

Just installed a Kwikset 912 and I would like to share some points for those that are considering this unit.

1. I picked this unit because I needed a latch and the only other one I found is a Schlage FE599NX. Having researched these forums it seems that this unit is a bit buggy and workarounds are needed to make it run. I do think that the Schlage cosmetically is elegant but my opinion only.

2. I loosely assembled the lock in my office right NEXT to my hub and paired it. However, a factory reset needs to be done. This is not included in the installation manual. I found a link that explains this process. https://www.kwikset.com/support/answers/how-to-restore-default-settings-on-my-smartcode-lever-perform-a-factory-reset

3. This really needs to be done first. I paired successfully without a factory reset but I could not successfully create a dashboard tile (had a question mark on it).

4. The lock connects to the control board with a pin connector. Please make sure it is oriented correctly. The pin is labeled "up." I bent one pin, luckily it was easy to fix.

5. The connector cable may have to re-positioned in its crimp type lock to orient up since it is very short and would aid in the installation. What I mean that it would naturally orient up without needing to constantly twist.

6. The battery installation and usage is elegant. A battery cassette is used to hold the AA batteries and is very easy to change. The unit remembers all the Z wave settings without batteries installed so this was a big plus.

7. The lock handles are installed with a set screw that should be left in place and then backed into the handles after they are installed. Took me a while to figure it out.

8. The Hubitat Lock Code Manager is very nice and will program the lock to different codes. I do believe you are restricted to 4 digits, but I am not sure.

9. So, aside from the factory reset that was not included in the instructions, the lock handle issues (oh, and mine shipped with identical handles - the set screw location is on the bottom of the handles and so when I installed they are opposite each other) everything went well. Paired nicely, programs well, and is operational through the dashboard.

A newbie explanation for sure, but I hope this helps. I really recommend the 912 for those that need a latch.

2 Likes

Great info! I just installed a 912 also. I didn't expect to like it so much. ....just like you, I needed a latch lock and just like you I saw the issues that people were having with Schlage locks on this forum.

My lock had a mechanical problem, though. Kwikset support was excellent. They sent me out a brand new lock right away. Thanks.