Inovelli VZM31-SN Smart Bulb Mode & Light Group/Button Controller/etc

Hello,

I'm hoping to get some advice on the best configuration for my setup.

I have smart bulbs (Wiz) and picked up the new Inovelli Blue 2 to try and improve my smart home.

I'm attempting my kitchen first, with 7 Wiz down lights, and the Inovelli wired & paired.

I have a very clunky solution now where if I push physical push the up or down switch it turns the lights on or off. This works, but very very slow (7-15 seconds after button push). I did this using the button controller. The results were similar using rule machine.

If send a push button 1 from the device or run the action from button controller it is a little faster (5-7 seconds).

I created a light group as well, and I'm using that in the button controller.

The lights responds pretty quickly (about a second) from the dashboard or other apps. The group also doesn't conflict with other apps or voice commands (for example if I want to turn on only 1 of the 7 lights). I tried the Room Lighting app too.

Ideally I'd like to mirror the state of the lastest updated device to the other. For example, if update kitchen sink to 100% the switch would show dim 100%. If I use the switch to adjust to 50% it would set the 7 bulbs to 50%. If I then set sink to 100 using Google Assistant, the other 6 lights stay at 50%. It would also be okay to have a "master switch" or "brightest switch" as the mirror to update the switch state.

In case it matters, I do plan to use SharpTools as well with a main dashboard showing both groups and individual lights...

I did look around a bit to try and find an answer but have not had any luck yet.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Walt

Not sure why you'd see a delay, the button events come through very quickly in my experience, before any other event messages so this makes me wonder if your switch is having signal issues getting to the hub and having to repeat the messages.

Have you checked your switch isn't one in the bad RF batch of the first release? If you have any of those they can impact a Zigbee network.

1 Like

The hard part on this is making sure you aren't creating a loop. If the rule changes the dimmer to match the light level change then the next rule is going to see the dimmer level changed and want to go change all the lights to that new level ... which will cause the first rule to see the light level has changed and change the dimmer level to match which will .... well, you get the idea :smiley:

That doesn't mean it can't be done, just means it has some complexities to work out!

Hi JonathanB,

Thank you for your replies.

RE device - Zigbee ID in Device configuration page starts with 6C, so I think my device was not impacted. I believe the bad runs started with (94:xx and 38:xx), according to a post I found on the Inovelli forums.

Yes, I understand that I could do something in rule machine, but would need to be careful of creating a loop. I think that could be achieved with some type of variable I can adjust under certain conditions. That said, with the delays that I am seeing now, I need to simplify, not enhance.

So the delays are very confusing, even the simplest of configurations seem to be slow.

Unfortunately nobody has been able to help me with the delays. I want this to work with Hubitat, but maybe I should try on my out SmartThings Hub to see if the behavior follows the hub or the switch. From there, I can narrow down the troubleshooting a bit.

Thanks for your efforts and your time!

-Walt

I understand the delays are frustrating, this is why I finally got myself a Zigbee sniffer and learned how to use Wireshark so I could finally see what was actually going on but thats a steep curve I'll admit!

Since 6C isn't on the list of bad RF modules we'll assume that isn't the issue.

Since I can tell you that with 10 Inovelli Switches (and a dozen or so Hue Zigbee bulbs also directly on the hub) my button presses and actions are fast enough to look local.

So the next question is, are all events being delayed (ie. on/off updates to hubitat) and how fast does it respond to a level change command from hubitat (until you see the LEDs change)?

I.e. is there a general lag of Zigbee command issues or is it just one-way,

Then I would take a look at the routing data from the hub at http://X.X.X.X/hub/zigbee/getChildAndRouteInfo (where X.X.X.X is your hub IP) and then at this thread: Making sense of this Zigbee Routing Table Neighbors - #2 by Tony

Look for your Inovelli Switch, is it listed as a neighbor (with a high LQI and low cost?) or is it listed as going through another router and if so, check the LQI for that router device.

Hope this gives you a direction to look to diagnose your Zigbee issue. While Zigbee in theory should route around problems, in practice, there is a good chance a badly behaving (or weak) router can have significant issues. Sometimes, just rebooting the offending router device can fix the problem (at least for a while)

1 Like

Thanks you Jonathan, very thoughtful and helpful reply!

I will take a deeper look into this over the next few days.

Walt

Hi Jonathan et al.,

I've done some troubleshooting that is worth sharing.

I removed the light groups, and all app configurations trying to change the lights.

I found the the "simple button controller" app works pretty well (about 1 second), which is good for me.

The problem seems to be with the other apps, button controller, rule machine, etc. I'm starting to wonder if I have an issue with my hub, I thought I saw some other community members with corrupt DBs?

In case someone is curious, a simple rule machine rule of .. trigger button 3 pushed with action set x,y,z lights to some % takes 7-15 seconds. Same rule on simple button controller takes about a second, often a little less.

Updating with a partial solution.

The most important issue was resolved by backing up the system, doing a soft reset, and restoring from backup. I assume I had a corrupt DB.

Walt