Inovelli, set brightness without turning on?

Im trying to have my hallway lights come on at different levels depending on the time of day based on a physical press. Is it possible to do this somehow?

1 Like

They don't appear to have "level" pre-staging like some other bulbs (Sengled) do. You might want to check with the folks at Inovelli though just to be sure.

I may be wrong, but I believe the the Z-Wave spec is what requires the light to turn on when a non-zero level command is sent, and all brands of Z-wave dimmers have to follow that. Its not just an Inovelli thing.

Zigbee and WiFi bulbs (like Sengled) don't have the same requirements. Inovelli is coming out with a Zigbee dimmer (Blue series) and maybe (don't know yet) it will allow setting the level without forcing it to turn on. That would be a question for Inovelli

1 Like

So just to clarify, these are red dimmers, not bulbs. Mainly my hallway light. At night we want it on at minimum but full brightness during the day. I could set a rule to set them and turn them off briefly so the next time they are used they would be at desired level, but hoping for a more elegant way to pull this off

Apologies - thought you were talking about bulbs for some reason.. need more coffee. I'm not sure I've seen pre-staging on any dimmers - certainly not on the Zooz switches I have - Zen 24 V3/V4's.

if what @mark.amber saying is correct then you will probably have to do the workaround. Setting it up when you turn it off for the next anticipated level maybe.

Can hubitat set the default on percentage? Someone at inovelli is saying home assistant can doe this.

The newer GE/Jasco Enbrighten have it, and the motion dimmers always did as well.

I'm not sure which others have it. I thought Inovelli did, but I could be wrong - I don't have any to verify that.

1 Like

Yeah me either unfortunately - the only Inovelli's I have access to right now are the black series switches so not helpful.

The GE/Jasco do pre-staging "the right way" (in my opinion) - via a separate parameter. So setting level always does the same thing - set the level. Not one thing if light is off, one thing if light is on. The pre-staging value comes into play any time the dimmer is turned on, locally or via motion, etc.

I despise pre-staging that hijacks the level commands. I don't want setting the level to only work if the light is already on, which is how 'pre-staging' works in the Hubitat drivers when done at the software level. But I recognize that is just a preference of mine, not a universal belief.

2 Likes

I know i can run a custom command in rm to send a sting to the light to change the notification led to do different things. Im wondering if the right custom string could change other values like default percentages. Im just not smart enough to know how to figure out the string

You can use their "Set Parameter" or "Set Configuration Parameter" command (I forget exactly what they called it) to change either of both of the parameters for digitial/Z-Wave or physical/paddle "On" levels. Their driver also has an option to create child devices for one or both of these, so if you'd rather use a "standard" app without custom commands to set these, that would open up that possibility. For setting thr parameter manually, you can look in their manual to get the there pieces of information (parameters in the Hubitat command sense) you need to send: parameter number, size, and your desired value.

I'd never really thought of using that to "prestage" before, but I suppose it would get you there as long as you remember that you always need to set it; the default "on" levels will not change unless you specifically change them, regardless of what you change the actual level to while the light is on.

Of note: Hubitat also just introduced a new standard "Preset Level" command that allows devices that support prestaging to do this via a standard command instead of taking over the regular "Set Level" command like the drivers with a prestaging preference (like in the screenshot above) do, but where probably a ways off from that being widespread enough to be of any use in standard apps yet. But maybe some day...

4 Likes

Yes, it can (sorry I misunderstood your initial request). Set Level commands to the Parent device will turn on the light if it is off and that is a Zwave specification that all Zwave dimmers will do.

However, the Inovelli dimmers do support a "Default Level" parameter which I believe is the same as other brands "Pre-Staging" setting.

You can change the "default level" parameter separately from turning the light on/off. You need to use a custom action or child device to change the setting in Rule Manager. What you can't do is use the Set Level command on the parent device without turning on

1 Like

Where do you see that command? I'm not finding it...

The driver has to implement this command (and an app would a way to run it; Rule Machine right now could only do so with a custom action). Neither of these is very common right now given that it was just introduced in 2.2.6.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.