Inovelli Scenes slow to respond from multi-taps of switch

I'm not sure if this is an Inovelli issue or something else, but when I set a scene via extra taps some times it can take several seconds for all the lights to respond, and they don't always dim in sync with each other. Most times they are fine, maybe 80-90% of the time. There are only 6 switches that are part of this scene. It's always worse after a reboot of Hubitat for a couple of days and also seems worse if the lights haven't been touched in a while.

But here's the thing, I don't suspect Hubitat or my network because if the scenes are activated by any other means they respond instantly and in sync. Example, when zigbee motion sensor triggers them on, it's fast. If I log into Hubitat and initiate the scene, it's fast. It's only buggy when using the Red switches to initiate. Any ideas? How do I trouble shoot this?

And when I say scenes, I'm actually using RM to initiate the changes. Using the scenes app makes things way worse. Here's an example of what I'm doing, seems pretty basic to me.

There could be a few issues at play. First, the default "delay" between releasing the button and registering a Z-Wave Central Scene event is 750 ms, which many people find long (humorously long if you ask some people on the Inovelli forums :slight_smile: ). Recent firmware on the LZW31-SN (don't think this has made its way to the LZW30-SN yet) allows you to choose a smaller delay, which a lot of people like. The tradeoff is that you have to do multi-taps faster to make it realize that a multi-tap is, in fact, what you are doing, but even something like 300 ms feels natural enough to me without making me wait too long for a single tap (your preferences may vary).

The two other issues I'd guess could be a laggy hub or a Z-Wave problem. You seem to have eliminated the first concern by running the rule actions manually (I assume; if not, see if the "Run Actions" button above does the same), and perhaps you'd notice if you had problems with other things, too. A laggy Z-Wave network might be harder to troubleshoot and would probably manifest itself even if the actions are run manually if the other devices you're controlling are Z-Wave (can't tell from the screenshot), but it could also be a localized issue, like maybe the Inovelli switch is far away from the hub or a repeater. Any alarming stats on the Settings > Z-Wave Details page may be a good place to look (high PER, large number of route changes, poor RSSI, etc.).

Could probably be other things, too...these are just a few that come to mind.

2 Likes

Hey guys -- thought I'd pop in here as we're dealing with this with a separate hub manufacturer and all I can really say without stepping on toes is that there seems to be a difference of opinion as to what the root cause of this is (hub guys think it's a switch issue, we have only seen this issue on 700 Series hubs).

The good news is we've made some progress with Silicon Labs and the other company to figure out a way to enhance the speed of scenes and should be finalizing firmware that will make things much faster and more reliable.

Personally, I see the same thing at my house with both our own switches and I also have a Zooz remote (don't judge lol) which triggers my scene maybe 50% of the time and half the lights turn off and I have to press it a few times for everything to work.

We'll be releasing some beta firmware shortly after it's put through testing that is aimed at this problem directly.

@ericm -- tagging you buddy for reference!

4 Likes

Hey thanks for taking the time to respond Eric! FYI I do have the 700 series hub. At least I assume I do, its a C7. Do you notice the issue with your new scene controllers? I've been thinking about picking up a few when they become available.

Yeah no worries, always happy to pop in when I can :slight_smile:

The C7 is, in fact, 700 Series and what I have at my house too.

This is a sore subject right now lol -- we had to put those on hold for a bit. Working through some drama to say the least.

3 Likes

I am a little confused by this. As @Eric_Inovelli mentioned, we are working on a firmware release that will increase speed, but mostly when multiple devices are being activated at once. The actual purpose of the update is to address an issue under certain conditions that may cause the dimmer to send duplicated packets when it should not. So, this should increase the speed of the overall network, but wouldn't make a noticeable difference in your setup from what I can tell. The reason I say this is because you mention that the speed is significantly faster when activated in a way that isn't by a Red Dimmer Central Scene. The only difference there is that the dimmer is sending a single report to the Hubitat hub to set off the chain of actions vs. something else.

Honestly I'm not sure what could make that big of a difference in response time. So the scenes you are testing deal with the same lights when triggered with the Inovelli Red device vs the motion sensor?

I'm using RM5 to create 3 different scenes with 6 different dimmers which are a mix of blacks and reds. 3 of them are reds. I using single tap, double tap, and triple tap up for each of the 3 scenes. I also using single tap down for an all off scene. When I do this from the red dimmers theres an occasional lag of several seconds and when this happens they usually won't all fire simultaneously. One will go off, then 3 or 4, etc.

I also have motion detectors in that room that set it to one of the scenes and I've never seen this behavior when the zigbee motion triggers them on. I've also been playing around with a dashboard on my phone to set those scenes and have never seen this happen when doing it that way either.

Iā€™m hitting the same issue as well on my newly installed Red dimmers and C7 Hub.
I have a very basic config:
One room with two Inovelli Z-Wave Red Dimmers. Double tap up on either dimmer sets a scene to turn on all lights in the room, double tap off turns all lights off.
Single taps to turn the individual dimmers on/off are nice and responsive (I have the tap delay set at 200ms) but double taps can take anywhere from 2 to 15 seconds to activate the scene.
I have been consistently hitting this issue, and I also see the issue @waffles describes where one light in the scene may respond a few seconds before/after the others.
These are the only three z-wave devices I have (two red series dimmers + C7 hub) and they are all newly installed just a few days ago and I had this issue immediately after setup.
Iā€™m happy to collect and share any info I can to help root cause the issue

My scenes have stopped working altogether. Using RM5.1, I'm able to run each of the actions for the button controllers within RM. However, double tap and triple tap, etc on the switch itself just control the light that is physically connected. The dimmer was installed a week ago, and functioned fine for a week.

I'm using the Inovelli driver and running firmware 1.57. I did try removing the button controller and adding it back, rebuilding each of the commands. I have done a variety of updates to the system over the last few days, so it's possible this is operator error. Any ideas where to begin?