Inovelli Red Series Switches (S2) stopped turning on/off on C7 hub

Getting a very odd issue with all of my Inovelli Red Series Switch and dimmers (paired S2)... They are suddenly not performing their on/off action, on a C7 hub. I tested the switches paired without security and they work fine.

I focused my testing on one of the switches:

If I press the "on" command on the device page, it doesn't respond. However, I have a Z-Wave toolbox and do see the command go through and get acknowledged:

I don't see anything odd in the Logs.

In the Z-Wave logs, it looks like it correct its routing as it was going through a repeater for some reason at a lower speed, but still no response.

Z-Wave Log

I can turn on and off the light with my UZB-7 stick and it responds immediately.

I can Physically turn on the light and its status will update on the Device page in Hubitat

Last time I saw something similar, it was related to a driver issue related to the S2 authentication, so I initially thought that it might again be a driver issue: I am using the Inovelli community driver, but am getting the same (non) reaction from Hutitat's Inovelli driver as well as the Z-Wave Plus Generic Scene driver.

I rebooted (power down, pull plug for a few minutes) the hub and the switch (Air Gap) but no luck...

Other Z-Wave devices seemed to have some behavior issues before the hub reboot but are now back to normal.

Will continue to investigate and update this topic, but am wondering if anyone else is seeing this or has any other ideas?

@ericm, any recent changes to the Red series switch and dimmer drivers? I am using HPM, so it would have picked-up any recent updates.

I have:

• Inovelli Drivers (Gen 2)
    • Inovelli Dimmer Red Series LZW31-SN v21.5.10 (driver)
    • Inovelli Switch LZW30 v21.3.10 (driver)
    • Inovelli Switch Red Series LZW30-SN v21.4.9 (driver)

Are you still having issues with your Inovelli switches/dimmers? All of my switches are ether Inovelli Red Switches or Red Dimmers (about 15-20) and I have not seen any issues with any of them. I did however updated the firmware on all of them ( 1.19 on the the switches and 1.48/ 1.41 on the dimmers).

1 Like

I believe the most current version for the red dimmers is 1,52. Just loaded today so don't have any history yet but it seems to be working.
Just updated so I could change a parameter that was causing me problems. I have a light fixture that if dimmed below 35% would not turn on again until the value was raised. Was able to set minimum lower level and now works perfect.

EDIT: sorry I was referring to the firmware, The most current Driver I found was this*
Inovelli Dimmer Red Series LZW31-SN

• Author: Eric Maycock (erocm123)
  • Date: 2021-05-10
1 Like

I have three of the red dimmers and I am not having any issues. I am using hpm as well for the drivers and actually updated the FW about a week ago to the beta 1.56/1.44. When I did that I did loose dimming on two of my three switches - seems parameter 52 now has three options so you can set it into a switch mode with no dimming. Adjusted that parameter with help on the inovelli forum and everything is fine.

1 Like

Thanks all for your feedback! It looks like there was an issue with my Z-Wave database, so I restored a Cloud backup from when this was working properly, making sure to select "Restore Z-Wave Radio". This seems to have resolved the issue.

Everything is now back to normal!

3 Likes

The latest firmware for the Red Series switches is now 1.20.

https://files.inovelli.com/firmware/LZW30-SN/

Nice. Glad you found a fix. A little scary that it happen though.

1 Like

Hehe... It is!

That said, my experience has always been positive in the end. And I always end-up learning some new things, which is great!

One of the things that was interesting is that I had paired a device after the Cloud backup was initially made a few weeks back.

I was able to re-pair this new device and then restore my latest downloaded local backup which contained the new device. The ID ended-up being the same, so all was good! Had it not been, I would have changed the "Device Network Id" of the device to its new Z-Wave ID.

Hmmm. So the zwave radio restore from the cloud backup does not complete erase the current zwave info before applying the backup. Yeah that is interesting.

Lol. I am ok with not having to learn this one :wink:

Oh, it does seem to erase the Z-Wave info, otherwise it wouldn't have worked. When I paired the device again, the next available ID was the same as it had been right after the backup was made, so it found and used the same one.

As I understand it, Z-Wave addresses are not typically reused, so had it still had the node ID, it would have used the next one when I paired it again. :slight_smile:

Ah, now I understand you. Thanks for taking the time to explain.

1 Like

1.52 firmware is in Beta for the dimmers. I like to run stable version.

That's odd. When I looked last week it showed 1.52 as stable and current Beta is 1.56. Somehow I must have gotten lost in their menus. Oh well, it seems to be working for my simple needs (don't use scenes or double tap)

Well guess I spoke to soon. I seem to have lost my scene control with 1.56 beta. I went back to 1.52 and still not working.

@Sebastien Glad that you got it working!

@steve.maddigan If scene control is not working after the firmware update, you may need to do an exclusion and factory reset and then include again.

1 Like

Thank you @ericm. I got assistance on the inovelli forum on the 1.56 beta thread.

I had to toggle parameter 51 on and off and then I was able to reapply the latest beta FW and had to do it again.

All three of my red dimmers are scene enabled again.

1 Like

Where are you seeing that the current firmware for an Inovelli Red Dimmer is 1.56? I just checked at the firmware index and it still says 1.48.

This is the link to the site I checked at:

That's the latest production version. Click into the changelog for the device, and you'll see 1.56 listed as a beta. Why it's not listed on that page like most (all?) of the other betas seem to be, I don't know... :slight_smile:

If you manually browse to Index of /firmware, you'll also see everything just listed, which I usually find easier than searching the site or forums (except you'll need to consult one or both of those to see changes, as these are just the files sorted by model).

1 Like

Thanks. But from reading the above it seems like they may have issues, so Iā€™m going to stick with 1.48 for now.

Anything major added/changed?

1 Like

I'd look at the changelog to see if there is anything you'd consider "major" compared to your current version. :smiley:

(The last few don't really interest me: I don't use aux switches, and the original "smart bulb mode" implementation was good enough for me. But I'll probably upgrade at some point anyway...)

1 Like