Inovelli NZW31 w/Scene, weird 3way behaviors (corrected from NZW39)

I've just installed an NZW31 w/Scene in a master location where there's a dumb 3way toggle downstream. The main location has LINE, LOAD, TRAVELER, NEUTRAL, GROUND (a nice complete setup). I haven't looked at the 3way switch to see how it is wired yet.

At first I was using whatever default Inovelli Scene driver was automatically recognized when the device paired. The Inovelli worked fine, however, the 3way wasn't working. So I looked around and discovered there are Inovelli drivers over on their site. I then accidentally installed the LZW31 w/Scene (<- L ) because there was some chatter about how that driver has the ability to set "yes/no" for the main box having a neutral and then another "yes/no" for something about the traveler. So I used that driver, set the values, and the 3way kinda sorta started working. Now it works but sometimes the light comes on perfectly while other times the light ramps up then down and stays at a low level.

So then I realized my mistake and got the proper NZW31 Scene driver... but that one doesn't have any relevant controls. I wonder, how am I supposed to control behavior for the N-type switch?

e: corrected from NZW39 to NZW31

NZW39 is an outlet, do you mean the Red Series 3 way dimmer VZW39

Ahhh- no I meant the NZW31S. Editing to fix!

For the record now I'm on the proper driver for NZW31 however, I have a new odd behavior: the main switch is entirely subservient to the 3way. If the 3way is "on" then the main switch behaves entirely normally during both paddle pushes and remote controlling. If the 3way is off then the lights are off and paddle just sits there with it's blue status LED and nothing else... I cannot control it in any way.

careful, this guy fried 2 switches, good info below

1 Like

I finally got around to opening up both boxes, disconnecting both switches entirely, and buzzing things out. It turns out I have this setup (taken from the official schematics page)

So once I basically ran the load running all the way through I was golden!

Along the way I believe I've learned that there are no configurations for the NZW31-S; it autodetects everything and has no configurations (like transition time), at least not as far as I can tell.