Inovelli dimmer, no light until 35%

Today I replaced a GE zwave dimmer with an Inovelli Red dimmer. My first Inovelli actually. The GE was working fine, but we wanted to get rid of the toggle switch and get a paddle and I've heard lots of good things about the Inovelli hardware.

The fixture that this switch controls has three bulbs in it, they are plain old LED bulbs (not smart). I have a motion sensor that triggers this switch. When in the day mode, the light comes on to 100%, which works perfectly. Now that the house is in night mode, the light should come on at 10%, which worked perfectly with the GE switch. The inovelli comes on and goes to 10%, but the lights are off. Same at 20%. At 30% only one bulb comes on. It's not until 35% that all three bulbs come on. The switch does have a neutral.

Is this what I should expect and set my motion lighting to go to 35% instead of 10%? Or have I done something wrong with the set up? I have the correct driver installed.

The Inovelli dimmers (LZW31 and LZW31-SN) have a "minimum dim level" parameter, which sounds like what you what. Basically, it will re-map the values you set (and receive) in accordance with your minimum (and maximum, another setting you can do) value so they appear to be 1-99 like normal but are scaled behind the scenes so that the "real" levels are within the range that you specify. If you're using Inovelli's custom driver, this is exposed as preference directly on the device page. If you're using Hubitat's driver, then I can't remember if there is one or not (or if there even is such a driver in the first place). In that case, the Basic Z-Wave Tool plus the device manual (for parameters) should still do what you want: sounds like you want to set parameter 5 of size 1 to value 35 (so that what is now 35% will really be 1%).

This sounds preferable to me compared to modifying your automations to accommodate this oddity in that you won't have to do this in every app, it will also respond this way to physical controls, and in general it seems less awkward. However, there's no reason that wouldn't work either if you end up preferring to do it that way for some reason.

1 Like

Perfect, thank you so much. I am using the Inovelli custom driver. I set the minimum for the switch to 35, my motion lighting rule is still set to 10%, and it works just like it should.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.