Inovelli Canopy Fan/Light Zigbee controller-vzm36 not pairing totally

Hello, Just received my Inovelli VZM36 fan canopy controller. It starts pairing and initializing but never finishes pairing completely. I have all 3 drivers correctly loaded. I have tried on a C7 and a C8.
Factory reset the canopy controller multiple times.

Anyone have success with these yet? I realize they just started shipping so experience maybe limited at this point.

The logs indicate a device is initializing, even with addresses recognized, but it never shows up on the device page. I've posted about this joining issue multiple times with no resolution, and it seems to vary depending on the specific device.

Summary from a C7 on 2.3.7.145

sys:12024-03-19 11:56:08.113 AMinfoZigbee Discovery Running

sys:12024-03-19 11:56:07.246 AMinfoZigbee Discovery Stopped

sys:12024-03-19 11:55:57.901 AMinfoInitializing Zigbee Device 000D6F000106C40C, BDE2

dev:1732024-03-19 11:55:57.240 AMinfoApplication ID Received

dev:21432024-03-19 11:55:54.069 AMinfo__Pendant V1 : ping

dev:2022024-03-19 11:55:52.740 AMinfoApplication ID Received

dev:20492024-03-19 11:55:48.424 AMinfoMotion Fireplace Hue illuminance is 3 Lux

I have 3 of these paired and working great. I posted on another thread how bad the drivers are though. Sorry, this doesn't help you but I do know that they can be paired, at least to a C8 Pro (2.3.8.128).

1 Like

Thanks, any idea what causes the join to initialize but never complete?
No unknown "Device" is ever created. I'm going to try right on top of the hub to pair

Sorry, I would have no idea but maybe @Eric_Inovelli can help?

Thanks Bryan, but I believe this to be clearly a Hubitat related issue, based on experience with devices from about 20 manufacturers. Devices that pair with Z2M, ZHA, Smartthings but can have issues on HE. I have no idea what those other systems do differently or I guess it could be my particular combo of Zigbee devices on HE.
I'm about to attempt pairing within inches of the hub, let's see what shakes out.

Still wouldn't join to HE, but on 1st try paired to Z2M within 20 seconds

Hey @Rxich - really strange. I have it paired to a C7 at my house, but I've seen this before with Zigbee devices and never really figured out why it happens (bc the same device pairs instantly to SmartThings and Home Assistant). The only way I've ever been able to solve it is to move it really close to the hub like you mentioned. It's really strange too bc I've only ever seen it on random devices and it happens at random times.

@bptworld - sorry about the driver. It's my understanding from the other Eric that somehow the driver got overwritten bc we saw the same issues during beta and fixed them. I haven't been following the thread in our community (been scrambling to finalize the White Series documents) but I know he's working on it!

2 Likes

Thank you Eric, I seem to have forgotten that quite a while ago I did a dual channel swap C4<->C7 with 25<->20 and ever since then my pairing has been weird. I'm going to shutdown the other C4 hub involved in the swap, as I often need to do despite the channel # spread.
I really believe it's my particular combo of hubs/devices/repeaters otherwise there would be 1000's of other similar complaints.

I just received mine and have a similar issue. The pairing process appears to work from the Hubitat side.... I get a device and sub-devices for the light and fan. But at the end of the pairing process, the led on the canopy starts to blink red and green at the same time (after blinking green as if pairing was successful). On the device page(s) in hubitat, the "Current State" for all three devices is blank. The canopy led stays solid red and if power cycled, will re-enter pairing mode (pulsing blue led).

I'm running C8 2.3.8.134. I've reached out to Inovelli support... waiting to hear back.

My C8 would never pair the canopy controller, despite being 5 feet line of sight from my C8. I had to pair it to my C7 within inches, and that seemed to do the trick, and of course a reboot immeditaely before pairing, as within 5 mins my hub memory crashes from 600k to 300k

Thanks for the info. That is indeed disappointing. I still haven't heard from support, but maybe they can help or I can provide logs and info that will help them figure out what's going wrong.

Inovelli has updated the drivers (and I also updated mine) to remove the invalid fingerprints. Be sure to update your drivers and try to pair again. It should work better.

1 Like

was just coming here to say the same. Eric indicated the drivers were very rough