Inovelli Blue Series as Button Controller

It seems like there are several issues with the new inovelli switches and not getting a lot of help with their community.

I have a blue series switch, (confirmed it is NOT one of the ones with the bad MAC numbers, although out of 15 I have 7 that do match the bad batch).

Using hue e12 bulbs, could never get the zigbee binding to work reliably so I am now trying it as a button controller.

I am assuming the buttons are the same as the Red Series (button 1 push = tap 1x on up paddle).

I am also using hubitats button controller app. I can get off to work, as well as multi-tab for hue scenes (using CoCo hue) but can not get button 1 to work.

In the button controller, button 1 push = toggle switch on (hue light group). It runs fine if I try 'run actions' but when I press the involli switch 1x nothing happens. If I tap 2x it triggers a scene, and 1x down it turns them off.

I have even gone into the switch and press PUSH #1 and nothing happens.

How can I trouble shoot this?

Other notes;
The switch is setup as a dimmer, and smart bulb.
Its the latest available driver 2.05

1 Like

No idea if the button mapping is same as Reds (never had one), but it's spelled out within this guide - unfortunately, there's no direct link to the mapping table

Resources | Blue Series Smart 2-1 Switch (On/Off & Dimmer) - Manual - Switches / Wiki & How-To's - Inovelli Community

I'm using multi-taps and holds with my Blues in Button Controller now -- works great.

I'd say your best bet is figuring out where things aren't happening. Since "Run Actions" works, a reasonable guess would be that the tap from the paddle isn't making its way into Hubitat as a button event. Enabling all logging on the driver and seeing what happens in "Logs" would be one way to see what's happening (you should see things like "button 1 pushed"), with "Live Logs" probably being the easiest. However, "Past Logs" or the "Events" tab on the device detail page would also be good, as long as you know about when to look for the event.

Enabling all logging on the Button Rule could also help; you'll see if it at least gets "triggered," and if not, it suggests a lack of event as above. But if you do see an event, there could be an issue with the Button Rule (in this case, perhaps a lack of subscription to the event). These are two examples of places the problem could possibly be. The above should help you figure out where things are breaking down for you, then you can troubleshoot further from there.

Thanks bertabcd1234,

It looks like it wasnt firing the app, I deleted the actions, and then re-created it and seems to work great. Now I am going to trying the level increases and decreases.

You mentioned that you have it added as a dimmer in smart-bulb mode -- if you are going to program level inc/dec via Button Controller, you may want to switch the Blue to on/off instead.

I have no idea if leaving it as a dimmer would be a problem or not, but I dim via Button Controller for one of my Blues (and that works great), but the Blue is in on/off mode as far as the driver setup goes.

Just a note, they did switch the buttons.

Button 6 Held = start LOWERING light level
Botton 6 Pushed = start RAISING light level
Botton 7 Held = stop changing
Button 7 Push = stop changing

1 Like

If you leave it in dimmer mode so you get the level shown on the front LED bar, I suggest setting parameter 1 (ramp rate) to instant (and have the rest of the ramp rates follow that setting or explicitly set to instant) as it will then send fast "level" attribute updates as it updates the LEDs on the front. I then use an app (Switch Binding) that keeps the switch level and my WiFi smart bulb level in sync (you can use a rule or mirror or other mechanism though).

I do this so the WiFi smart bulb level is always in-sync with the LED bar on the switch. With the (Switch Binding) app, even if I change the level of the smart bulb directly, it will update the switch LED bar automagically :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes leaving it to dimmer so the led matches up. Not using switch bindings because I am using the hue group, which works really well through the hue hub.

I can try the Switch Bindings with some sengled bulbs to see how that works.

I had issues also, but it was because I hadn't set the button press delay, and that prevents multi-tap from working

Interesting, I didnt need to do that. Just used the basic button controller:

Button 2 push is double up double tap, imports a hue scene from CocoHue
Button 2 held is double down double tap, and also imports a hue scene from CocoHue

They might need some time to get it right. I am holding off on any professional installations for at least 6 months.

I have been working on the same buttons 6& 7 function with some ZigBee bulbs in lieu of a Hue Group in your example, but I have not been able to get it to work.

I am assuming the start raising/lowering is not the same as change levels on the smart bulbs, any thoughts?

I don't understand, how are you using multi tap, those options don't show up for me? and inoveli says they are "coming soon"

please help lmaooo, am I just bad at this haha

Multi-tap/hold/release actions work fine now on the Blues, but maybe we're talking about different things -- do you have a reference for "coming soon" comment from Inovelli?

I use Hubitat's Button Controller (BC) app to set up & manage all of my Blues' paddle-related actions, but you need Inovelli's Blue button mapping chart to make those BC setups work right. You could similarly use Hubitat's Rule Machine app, but Button Controller is a better fit for this kind of thing.

That Inovelli Blue button mapping chart can be found here in their online Blue manual -- using the links on the right side, go to the "Advanced Features" section, then go to "2-1 Switch Button mapping" under "Scene Control".

Question for ya all - I'm SUPER new to this product and am searching the forums to see if the Inovelli SMART 2-1 SWITCH ON/OFF OR DIMMER (VZM31-SN) works with Hubitat. It seems like that is the case, based on what I'm reading here.

But when I look at this list of supported devices:

h&&ps://3m7c2370ef.execute-api.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/deviceListPublic#

...I don't see that particular Inovelli device.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

All Inovelli devices (including the Blues and new Reds) are well supported in Hubitat -- they rely on drivers from either Inovelli or community developers, but are well supported in all cases.

I have 9 Blues installed and love them - the LED bar for various notifications is awesome.

Hubitat's supported-device list tends to just include things that Hubitat has a stock/native driver for -- it's never a bad reference to check when considering a new device, but it tends to lag a bit (and often doesn't include devices that use community drivers but otherwise work perfectly well with Hubitat).

When researching a new device I'm thinking of adding, I always search the community forum here first -- chances are, someone else has tried it already and confirmed it works or doesn't.

Can I ask how you are doing multi tap with your Inovelli Blue switches/dimmers? I have a bunch and I see only Push or Hold

I don't have anything new to add beyond what I said my post a few above this one -- I still think using Button Controller is the way to go.

What driver are you using? If you are using the built in driver I would suggest using the inovelli maintained drivers.