Innovelli Reds and Rule Machine : Light Delays or Devices not Triggered

I have had this issue for a long time now, and am just getting around to asking for help....

I have Inovelli Reds and Blacks on a lot of my light switches. I have Rule Machine 4.0 setup to trigger on a red switch double click to turn everything on or off.

Problem is, over half the time I get delays of 10sec, 20sec, 30 sec. Sometimes one of the lights wont turn on at all (including the light on the red switch).

This can happen when switch is first used in the morning or after multiple on/offs in a short period of time. It does seem to happen more often if I don't get the hub time to "rest" between commands however.

I have rebuilt the z-wave mesh multiple times. Other than that I don't know where to begin. Any chance I have a faulty hub? What other trouble shooting steps I take? Thanks so much in advance!

Below is a log I snipped this morning of a 10 second delay between one light and all the others. Note the one light that turned on first is not the one the red switch controls.

I know you said that you've rebuilt the mesh, but let's start there anyway as that's where the symptoms point. Can you post a screen shot of your Zwave details?

Sure. I was just looking into this and also Ghosts. I cant seem to figure out how to tell if I have Ghosts. I read one thread that stated look for blank Device Class, I dont seem to have any blank device classes, but I do have some that state "Discover" in the Device column. Are those ghosts?
Anyway, here are snips of the Zwave details. Thanks so much for your help

At a minimum those are incomplete pairings, and looking at them probably are ghosts. From what I'm seeing, if I had to guess, I'd say that the device that follows those are the real devices, so if you power those down and hit Refresh on the ghost, you might the get the Remove option on the ghost and with a little luck be able to get rid of it.

1 Like

Don't give up to quick on using the refresh and remove. If it doesn't remove on the first try, try try again. I have had some that took as many as 10 times before it finally removed.

2 Likes

OK, I was able to remove the Ghosts. Rebooted hub, and still having issues. Popcorning lights after a delay from hittingt he switch and one light failed to turn off all together. Turning them back on resulted in nothing at all happening after double clicking the switch. After another attempt of double clicking the switch it worked well. Turning it back off again about 5 second delay, and this time everything turned off. And then back on again was a 10 second delay before anything started turning on....this is driving me nuts :smiley: appreciating the community support so far! Any other suggestions?

When you rebooted, did you remove the power (from the wall) for about 30-45 seconds for the hub? If not, I'd recommend trying that and then letting the mesh settle in for about 24 hours to renegotiate routes.

I did not but will try that and report back tomorrow! Thank you

It has been my experience that pairing switches with security: “none” leads to much better results than using S2. I had mine at S2 and moved them all to “none”.

2 Likes

Interesting - looking through the device settings, I am not seeing how to do that, do I have to exclude and re-include in order to change this setting.?

The only way to change the security pairing is to exclude and re-include.

Changing the Security type did the trick - not 100% perfect. SLIGHT delay on large (turn everything in house off) command but so much better.

I excluded and reincluded every switch. Since I had to repair my old legacy rule machine rules, I just deleted them and rebuilt 5.1

It was a pain, and took most of the morning, but this is now 100% within expectations and working so much better. Thanks @Sebastien for the solution, @thebearmay for the suggestions and help over the last 24 hours. Great community here - I should have reach out much earlier.

2 Likes