[Initial Release] Actionable/Interactive Notifications with Simplepush

Myself and @bptworld have worked on an Initial Release of our Simplepush App/device handler.

What is Simplepush? - It's Pushover but has the option of actionable replies, the only difference is Simplepush is £/$12.49 per year for unlimited messages, there is a free tier but it's so limited with only 10 messages per month it's useless. Custom ringtones and alert levels are handled by event IDs which you make in the simplepush app.

To install it requires an app and a driver to be installed due to needing OAuth to handle the replies, you have the option of creating virtual devices for each question you need to set up which can be used in RM using the deviceNotification command

Use with RM
Use syntax 'Title:Message:Actions:Event'.
ie. 'My Title:This is a Test:yes-no:silent'.
If a field isn't needed use 'na', do not leave a field blank or missing.

or create one device that can be used with multiple WebCoRE pistons.

Code is here

An example WebCoRE Piston asks if I want to put the heating on if I leave any of my regions in owntracks.
Copy the URL for the piston from here

Then import or recreate the following using the sendSimplepushwebCore command using the URL you just copied

And just add under yes and no what you want to happen

Things to be added

• Add Support custom actions currently it's yes or no
  • Add Support the APIs maximum of 10 actions (Andriod can only show 3 in the notifications bar but all 10 in the app itself)
  • Add Support for Attachments which can be used to embed pictures, videos, GIFs and even RTSP live streams (still experimental)
  • Add custom URL support so not limited to just WebCoRE pistons could call any URL needed

Examples of how this could be useful

• Ask to turn the heating on if leaving work or other location
  • Have you taken the bins out
  • Have you taken your meds
  • Have you fed the dog/cat
  • Have you loaded/unloaded the dishwasher
  • Device has been on for X would you like to turn it off

This post has been edited this was the original post to start this topic off

Has anyone had any luck with this? It seems to be asked a few times before but never seems to be simple.
It's annoying that Home Assitant has his built-in on the mobile apps.

I don't want to use Tasker I want one simple app like Pushover with actionable API.
I found simplepush.io Simple Notification API for Android and iOS | Simplepush but they don't offer a forever option and want 13 dollars per year I know it's not much but before I start working on that as an option, just thought I would ask.

I thought about implementing it with a Telegram bot (since I use it for notifications anyway), but didn't get to it yet. Using Maker API, it should be pretty straightforward.

I made a WhatsApp bot with twilio and Webcore back in my smartthings days.
They charged per message worked out to a few dollars per month

Simplepush looks interesting

Have I piqued your interest enough in coming out of coding retirement and creating a driver for it?

I could work it out but it will take me weeks if not months I haven't needed to do any coding since my smartthings days all my apps/drivers had been ported over for me or better apps created.

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Maybe, lol. I too have been looking for something like this. Let me look more into this.

2 Likes

It's a start... :wink:

2 Likes

@TMLeafs what have you done?! IT'S AWAKE AGAIN!!!

2 Likes

Well, it looks like I'm stuck! lol I can't get the Actions to work. The push goes through, no errors in the log but not seeing the actions part in the Android app.

Here is the app code on Github:
Simplepush code

Any/all help would be appreciated!

Works using this testing website and curl
I have already run out of test notifications on two devices which makes testing hard

I just went ahead and paid the $12.xx for the year. :wink:

What site is that?

1 Like

This worked once then my wifes phone reached the free limit
I will pay for it on my phone tomorrow and hope we can improve it while I'm at work

Ha! That worked. Now to make the buttons do something.

Thanks

So one thing I don't like is that when you press a button on the phone, it doesn't send the response on its own. You have to poll for it. I got the polling setup and working but just thought it should be mentioned that it won't send it on its own.

At this point it's in a barebones working state! As always, anyone is free to change, ripout, copy, modify or otherwise use the code in any way they want.

Looking forward to seeing what others do with this code! I'm gonna start working on a reminder app this afternoon. :grin:

I've updated the code on my Github.

1 Like

I know this discussion has likely progressed past this point, particularly given your excellent fast turnaround in a solution @bptworld , but I thought I would ask anyway....

Is there a particular reason you don't want to use Tasker? Is it the ease of setting up the "rules" within it to do this? Or just generally did not want to have another app for this? I am working on a pre-canned Tasker project that I intend to have some form of actionable notifications, which could be local comms when available. Two-way cloud-comm's would likely require the addition of AutoRemote or something similar, but I am looking into this.

I'd rather the config is done using the Hubitat side, I used Tasker in the past but just found it annoying

I've paid the £12 for the year now so I might as well see it through

That's fair enough. That's what I'm targeting with the app I'm writing, load the pre built tasker setup into tasker and then manage it from Hubitat mostly. But sounds like your onto something here, so will let you get on with it.

What is the desired outcome of this app?
Is it to send a text message whenever an action completes?
Like instead of sending an audible message via Sonos that the light was turned off, you can text it to your phone?
Does it incorporate into the "actions" of a rule; like a dropdown to "text to phone" and an input field for the message?

I want it to ask me when I leave set locations if I want to put the heating on or not, is one example

It can also be used as a pushover alternative but it doesn't have all of pushover features

1 Like