Inhibit motion lighting during news and Jeopardy

I have a motion lighting app set up to control a light in our kitchen. Unfortunately, this light interferes with reception of the channel my wife prefers for news and Jeopardy. Otherwise, the motion light setup works great.

How can I automatically pause the operation of the motion lighting from 17:30 to 19:30 during the week days and from 17:30 to 19:00 on weekends so my wife won't get upset when I walk in the kitchen and then her viewing is interrupted? I know there is a "Pause" in the app, but I don't want to have to go into it and hit "Pause" and "Resume" every day. I tried to find a way to make a Rule Machine rule for this, but am not having much success. I had hoped that the Rule Machine would provide a way to suspend the Motion Lighting app, but it does not appear to be able to pause them.

You could use a virtual switch to disable motion lighting for those lights. This assumes you have a separate instance of motion lighting setup just for those lights. In motion lighting setup the virtual switch to disable turning on.

The following rule should toggle the switch for you. I haven't tested this. You can also clean up the rule if you want. You really don't need all of the logic that I listed but it makes for easier reading.

EDIT: I listed 5:00PM in the rule when it should have been 5:30PM

1 Like

Thanks. I had not thought of a virtual switch. I appreciate the example. I'll give it a try tomorrow as it is too late tonight to do set it up and it won't be needed until tomorrow anyway.

Thank you for your service!

1 Like

I got the rule created. I'll find out if it works this evening.

1 Like

Have a think about replacing or repairing the kitchen light also. A device creating such interference will not only be Adversely affecting your TV reception but most other things including your health !
:slightly_smiling_face:

The light fixture isn't the issue. It is the LED bulbs I have in it. Channel 11.1's signal is weaker than some of the other stations. Channel 5.1 works just fine. I would rather not revert to the halogen bulbs to eliminate the problem. Inhibiting the fixture from turning on is higher on the scale of desirability than reverting to the higher energy usage halogen bulbs.

@JNS I was able to test the virtual switch and rule. It appears to be working just fine. Thank you so much for the solution.

2 Likes