Information about Hubitat and compatibility with devices

Hello, I am from Dominican Republic and I am starting with the home automation, I currently have 3 sonoff switches (t1 us, 1ch and 2ch) and 3 plugs (s31) with Google Home. But, I am interested in acquiring the hubitat and have thought about buying some motion sensors and aqara door and window sensors, but I don't know if they would work properly. Thanking you for your help,
José Luis Alonzo

Hi Jose', welcome here. Yes xiaomi devices(zigbee protocol) work fine with Hubitat. I have many aqara & Mi devices working fine with Hubitat, and they should work for you.
For much more info, see this topic

Thank you, Rxich, for your quick response.
I want to take advantage of some additional questions, I clarify that I have investigated.
To connect the aqara devices to hubitat, do I need the xiaomi hub?
What other zigbee devices do you recommend? (smart switch, dimmers, plugs ...).
To use dimmers, do I only need the switch to allow it or should I also have the bulbs that support it?
My sonoff devices would work? ... But without Tasmota ...
Thanks again.

Welcome to the Hubitat Community José!

The Xiaomi hub is not necessary. You can pair the devices directly to Hubitat Elevation, and use a community driver. It is recommended that you do add repeaters even if the devices are close to the hub. The current Xiaomi devices do not follow the Zigbee spec completely. They can be unstable and drop without repeaters that are also compatible, but with compatible repeaters they are very stable. You’ll find recommendations here on the forum, primarily it is IKEA TRÅDFRI that are recommended because they work well, and are very inexpensive if you have an IKEA near you that carries them, but I don’t know if that’s available in your area. There are other recommendations for those who cannot get those easily

Hi, SmartHomePrimer, thanks for answering.
I don't know if it will work for me, but I have a mesh system installed (Nexxt Vektor 3600ac), and I have a connection throughout the house (from the living room to my room, there are less than 10 meters).
In relation to the IKEA TRADFRI you mention, is the TRADFRI connection device or some other device? If so, I could buy it here, because near my house there is an IKEA store.
In relation to this:
To control the intensity of the lights, I only need a dimmer and use the normal bulbs or should I also have the bulbs that allow varying the intensity of the lights?
And my current sonoff devices, would they work with hubitat, without using tasmota?

The mesh WiFi really does not factor into the Zigbee protocol. Zigbee and Z-Wave both create their own meshes with their respective radio protocols.

In regard to bulbs, you can pair directly to the hub, but all Zigbee smart bulbs, except for Sengled will cause issues with the mesh stability. So either use only sengled bulbs, or get a Hue Bridge and pair just the bulbs to the Hue bridge. This is what many of us have done, myself included. This puts the bulbs on a separate Zigbee mesh network that can be controlled from HE via the Hue integration, but will not interfere with other devices directly paired to HE via the Zigbee protocol.

If you’re In the US or Canada, you should be able to get either TRÅDFRI outlets or TRÅDFRI repeaters, which are dedicated to repeating signals and don’t do anything else other than charge your mobile phone if you plug into the side of it.

Sorry but I’m not at all versed in sonoff, however I do believe that you need tasmota firmware. Sonoff devices are not natively supported, so you will need community drivers just like the Xiaomi.

The list of officially compatible devices is available at docs.hubitat.com

Good evening, as I had said before, I am very eager to get hubitat, but I still have little doubts about that decision that I have to make.
The doubts consist mainly of the devices that I have to acquire, since the ones I currently have are not zigbee, nor z-wave, but they are "normal" devices (three sonoff s31 plugs and three sonoff t1 us switches), I also use the Broadlink rm mini 3, for the TV, the air conditioning and a couple of other devices, all infrared.
I have thought of two possible basic configurations:
1- Hubitat:
a) Motion and brightness sensors (aqara)
b) Door / window sensors (aqara),
c) A temperature sensor (aqara)
d) IKEA TRADFRI plugs.
OR
2- Hubitat:
a) Motion and brightness sensors (smartthings)
b) Door / window sensors (smartthings),
c) A temperature sensor (smartthings)
d) Smartthings plugs.
My biggest wish is that everything runs smoothly, and I accept other options.
Oh, for starters I have a low budget of only $ 250.
Thanks in advance.

To me your options read like this ;
Opt 1) initially lower cost but at some point you’ll be buying another Hub because those Xiaomi sensors are non standard and don’t play nice with other gear, on the same mesh
Opt 2) higher initial cost but friendly sensors when used with other brands on the same mesh.

Oh and you’ll need repeaters !
The Captains rule was “no less than 1 repeater for every 6 sensors” :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Njanda, thanks for answering.
Following your advice I discarded Xiaomi devices (I was specifically interested because the motion sensor also has a light sensor), therefore, I may decide on smartthings devices (motion sensor, door / window sensor), or if you can recommend compatible products.
In the first instance, what I want to do is that the lights (bathroom and kitchen) turn on when I detect movements (only when the luminosity is below certain parameters) and turn off when they do not detect any movement. Also, that if there is any window open in the bedroom, do not allow the air conditioner to turn on, until the windows are closed.
These are currently, my main needs.
Are SmartThings products worth it? Or are there better ones?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Given your budget I would skip trying to base your automations on lux, you can use sunrise and sunset in your automations for free.
The samsung/smartthings sensors are a good value and good sensors.

2 Likes

I’m in Australia and Smartthings haven’t really been readily available here so I’m not the best person to answer that but others in the forum seem to rate them very well.

You could do wrong by NOT listening to @mike.maxwell advice :blush:

Thanks, njanda and mike.maxwell for answering.
The reason for my low budget is because in my country the Customs department only allows purchases up to a US $ 200 tax-free limit.
But, that doesn't mean I can't buy more devices.
Regarding the use of automations for sunset and sunrise, I already have some settings, but what I want is that some lights (bathroom, kitchen, ...) only turn on when they detect movement and turn off when, after a while specific, do not detect any movement, this configuration is because in my house, they constantly leave the lights on for a long time without need and therefore, the electric bill increases.
Regarding the SmartThings motion sensor, even though I have investigated, I have not been able to find information that tells me if it has a light sensor, in order to configure the automation based on the amount of light in the room.
If this sensor does not have that functionality (light sensor), I could recommend some other device
that works perfectly in HE.
thanks for your help

it does not, the recommended zigbee sensor that includes Lux are the Philips Hue Indoor and outdoor motion sensors...

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.