Inconsistent turn off

Every evening I use a Samsung button to turn off and lock the doors in the house. Within a second of activating the button, the lights start to turn off. When the off cycle ends could be a bit over a minute, or it could be three to four minutes. It's very inconsistent from night-to-night. What makes it particularly hard is it's not the same devices that fail to turn off. I find that the later in the cycle a light is scheduled to turn off, the more likely it is to be inconsistent.

Of more concern, the four locks I have may or may not lock. Again inconsistent.

I have 34 GE dimmers, ten GE switches, nine plugs, eight Hue lights to turn off. How do I go about diagnosing the cause of the problem and then solving this issue of inconsistency?

I assume that you are using RM to do this and that most of your devices are Zwave. One thing that might help is the add a conditional before each device that says IF device is ON, turn OFF. Then it is only generating Zwave traffic when necessary. It will be tedious to update your rule but I did the same and my Good Night rule worked MUCH faster and more consistently. Any devices that are not Zwave+ should probably not be included in the conditionals since HE might not have accurate data.

Full disclosure, I now use Node Red instead but I still query each device's status before sending the OFF command and get the same benefit.

1 Like

Alternatively you can use a group and turn on group optimization. Which will send only the commands needed by the end devices.

I do use Rule Machine for the Goodnight action of the button.

I use a Group that I call GrpEvening/Night. Set to which lights I want to act on. None of the switches at the bottom of the dialog are on. All are off.

The Samsung switch turns off the two lights on each side of the bed. The lights turning off trigger a switch to Night Mode and, in turn, triggers the GrpEvening/Night. I use the GrpEvening/Night to also turn on lights just before sunset. That's the reason for the convoluted process.

I never have an issue turning on the lights. Turning off lights is the issue.

I would try to optimization switch in the group to see if it behaves better.

I know when I was sending several zwave commands to my thermostat at once that it did not respond as I'd expect always.

Solution for me was to put delays between the zwave commands. So it did not fire commands so quickly. Everything works well now.

My mesh is not near as large as yours. But its worth a try.

I would suggest running the routine and watching the logs for the commands. I too have odd occurrence where lights don't turn off. And actually just this morning one of my porch lights was still on, should have gone off at sunrise. Actually checking my logs I see it went off then came back on, not sure why

The logs are interesting in that they show a lot of repeated commands. I've been assuming the repeated commands are part of the problem for the longtime it occasionally takes to complete. There is no real user control over the command issuance by the user that I can see.

Saw your post title, and for a moment was sure my wife had joined the forum to complain about me. :wink: