Inconsistent Automations, Looking for Help

Hey everyone, hoping to get some assistance from this great community in troubleshooting my environment. I have been battling erratic automation behavior for quite a while, and for everything I've tried to resolve it, the headaches continue...

Environment:
C-7, running 2.2.4.158
Numerous Z-Wave devices - no Zigbee
Numerous rules in Rule Machine, Simple Automations, Motion/Mode Lighting

Issues happening - Sometimes all of my automations work perfectly, then one of them will have delayed actions (like 30 seconds plus), then another one won't work at all, then they all start working a few hours later, then a different one will stop working, etc., etc. One of my rules turns on my bathroom fan when the door closes and turns it off when the door opens...sometimes it'll work as expected, other times it'll turn the fan on 20 seconds after the door closes and never turn it off...

Actions I've taken - I've done Z-wave repairs (both individual devices and full network), hub restarts, hub shutdowns/power pull/startups, rule deletion/rebuilds, soft reset/restore to latest backups...

It's frustrating because one minute everything works perfectly, then an hour or two later, everything takes a dump, then it just starts working again...I'm hoping someone can "start over" with the troubleshooting of all of this and find the root cause...

Any help would be appreciated. Please let me know what I can provide - thanks in advance!

Similar issues have been posted several times, one of the main threads here:
https://community.hubitat.com/t/2-2-4-139-woke-up-to-slowwwww-world-delays-non-responsive/55901

Signs seem to point to something in 2.2.4.x causing the issue... some of us have reverted back to 2.2.3.148 (last 2.2.3.x release) which has resolved this specific issue, with the obvious downside of lost functions from the 2.2.4.x releases.

I has some similar issues, mostly with some older Leviton modules (non Plus).
I had a few misc devices, a motion, dimmer, water sensor that had been paired with security.
I do not have any security alarms nor locks so I really don't need security parings.
I removed the devices with security and my system has been pretty stable since that time.

I can't say the above steps fixed the problem as there were other small changes performed.
One possible mistake I made with the original pairing (came from C4 to C7) was with those pairing securly I would accept the defaults and when asked for the 1st five char of the device code I simply hit next and never entered anything. Was this an issue...... don't know.

I also have noticed the mesh/system seems to get grumpy when annoyed (aka changed) and sometimes just leaving it alone is enough for it to calm down.

I've been reading a lot of the recent posts about slowness, etc. and it definitely seems like the conversation is circling around some foundational issue(s) with 2.2.4.x. My hope is to definitively hear, "Yes, you're experiencing an issue with the 2.2.4 release" or "No, there's definitely something wonky with the Z-wave mesh" or "it's THAT device causing all your grief!"...

I feel like I've been chasing ghosts for far too long (figure of speech - I have confirmed no ghost nodes on the Z-wave network :slight_smile: ), and I'm hoping to get a little more direction on what the true causes are. Is it the one device on the network running S0 (GD00Z-4)? Or the four non-plus smoke/CO alarms (original ZCOMBOs)? A combination of all of the above? I'm exhausted from trying stuff and not really getting anywhere...this morning, only half of my outdoor Christmas lights turned on...I'm sure at least one neighbor is chuckling...