In wall smart switch with no physical buttons?

Sorry if this is a common question that has been answered before, I don't even know the terminology to search for.

Is there a device that can be mounted inside a wall switch box that Hubitat sees as a switch, dimmer, or button device - but doesn't have actual physical buttons?

The Hue wall switch module MIGHT be what I'm looking for but I don't know if it can be used without a physical switch.

I want to replace a wall switch with something that is smart and controls the load, but isn't an actual switch. Then I can mount a Pico in place of the switch to control things, including the module behind it.

There are a number of relay solutions that can be wired into a non-smart switch to do this. Qubino, Aeotec, Fibaro, etc all make various iterations. Not sure about dimmers, though.

1 Like

Aha! I think "relay" is the terminology I needed to know. Thanks!

1 Like

To clarify, I'm not trying to turn a non smart switch into a smart switch. I want something I can use instead of a switch, that HE can control and is hidden inside the wall box.

I think the relay will do what you want... it does not rely on the presence of a dumb switch. It really just opens and closes a contact based on a zwave command.

BTW Aeotec makes a dimmer as well.

2 Likes

Just curious - why no switch? You'll have a blank switch plate anyway right?

Newer smart switches now have the ability to decouple the relay from the actual switch for use with things like smart bulbs - usually a capability called something like "Smart Bulb Mode". Also can be used to simulate "N-Way" switching without all the relay clicking as well. edit: I am doing this with button press detection on the switch not switching.

1 Like

I have an in wall switch that controls the load to an outlet (plug in a lamp, etc)

I want to replace this with a relay, and then mount a Pico instead of the existing wall switch. Then the Pico button presses would be set up in HE to control the relay (and other things).

1 Like

Yep I did this in my basement utility room - I bypassed and removed the switch going to the outlet and am using a smartplug to control my shop lights. Have a pico mounted in place of the switch.

You could get a smart receptacle/outlet and do it that way.

https://www.amazon.com/Enbrighten-55256-Receptacle-Assistant-Tamper-Resistant/dp/B07361JZ2H/

or Zigbee

https://www.amazon.com/Jasco-Receptacle-Monitoring-Tamper-Resistant-43132/dp/B08G58HVL5/ref=psdc_6291365011_t2_B0842BDN9R

1 Like

You could also use a programmable smart switch - where the buttons don’t HAVE to control the switch itself

The best option for you appears to be the inovelli RED series or some zooz switches:

I got my info from the link below. Make sure to look for switches with a “yes” for smart light scenes

2 Likes

Oh I didn't even think of that. Eliminate the switch and use a smart OUTLET. So many options :grin:

1 Like

I think part of what they want is to use a pico instead of a switch otherwise I agree with you! Also have to be careful what kind of load you are expecting - lights okay, heavy equipment/fans/heaters probably not.

1 Like

Correct. The in-wall relays I’ve seen are limited to 5A or 10A load.

2 Likes

That should still be fine for normal house fans, right? Most consume no more than 1 amp.

Well Zooz does not recommend their switches be used with fans - something about the motor loads damaging the switches over time.. this may have changed a bit for the newer switches and/or fans under a certain limit dunno.

https://thesmartesthouse.happyfox.com/kb/article/90-can-i-use-my-zooz-light-switch-with-a-fan/

In the past I've used GE Enbrightens for this purpose.

3 Likes

@paul4 Please excuse the shameless plug:

2 Likes

HATE those tiny boxes which tend to be metal and have dry-rotting cloth wrapped wiring for extra fun.. :angry:

edit: thanks for the size comparisons though!!!! I missed that post.

5 Likes

Could this be useful to you?
I just ordered one for a project to install lighting inside a closet that does not have a pre-existing switch, or anything else.

SONOFF BASICZBR3 Zigbee Smart Switch, Zigbee Home Smart Controller, Compatible with Amazon Alexa, Works with SmartThings

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088SZNGSY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

Looks like it might. Have to make sure it fits. Old building, small boxes.

Check the INDUCTIVE load rating on any switch that will control a motor. It's not just the amps.....

2 Likes

The smallest out there are the Qubino Flush relays. They are both the same size. The Flush 1 has a single 10A relay. The Flush 2 has two 4A relays. Here's the size:

3 Likes