In Wall power outlet recommedations

I installed one in my home and it's working flawlessly. Well worth the buy. I'll be buying more for strategic locations throughout the house to handle various accent lighting.

Has anyone been able to get GE Jasco In Wall zwave outlet to pair. After reset, pairing finds it as a zwave device but it never recognizes as an outlet and does morning progress beyond “initializing”.

I have 7 of them. Probably older than yours, by at least a year. But I don't remember them as being anything to Join to the Hub.

Yes I have several of these in my home. I experienced the initializing issue when I had a weak mesh and ended up having to move the hub closer to get it to pair. If you do this be sure to run a Zwave repair afterwards. Since then I have added more devices and had no issues getting them to initialize.

I have new GE/Jasco outlets. They paired fine as a Generic Z-wave outlet. You can even configure when the LED is on, which was useful for me because its in my bedroom and I don't want it on.

Thank you. Seems anything greater than 10 feet from hub is causing that behavior, but works like a charm now!

I see that setting here....impressive granularity. Thanks for calling it out.

1 Like

Might I recommend you consider getting a z-wave range extender or two?

Or install more smart switches since mains powered switches are repeaters also. I replaced a bunch of non-plus Zwave with Plus last year when Lowes had them on sale. Believe it was in June so maybe again.

Yup, that's correct.

However, range extenders also amplify the signal. Because there can be no more than 4 hops between the z-wave controller and the z-wave device being controlled, signal amplification helps in specific situations, which may or may not be relevant to @tom.leslie11 home.

1 Like

Are the honeywell/jasco in wall power outlets dimmable?

Or more specifically can the be setup in Hubitat as a Generic Z-Wave Smart Dimmer or just Generic Z-Wave Smart Switch?

Hmm... there are also "Generic Z-Wave Dimmer" and "Generic Z-Wave Switch" drivers in hubitat. No "smart". What's the difference?

No. I think it is against the NEC to make an in-wall NEMA 5-15R dimmable receptacle. They're only on & off.

Hmm... I can't find any NEC z-wave receptacles anywhere. Is that the GE one? I was under the impression that the GE is also Jasco.

This project requires an in-floor receptacle for a lamp on a side table in the center of the room, so a plugin dimmer module isn't going to work. I'm starting to think my best bet is to use a standard receptacle and a hue dimmable candleabra bulb.

NEC = National Electrical Code. It is unlikely you will find any in-wall dimming receptacles that take standard plugs (i.e. NEMA 1-15P or NEMA 5-15P). The relevant section of the NEC is 406.15 (Dimmer-controlled receptacles). It states:

A receptacle supplying lighting loads shall not be connected to a dimmer unless the plug/receptacle combination is a nonstandard configuration type that is specifically listed and identified for each such unique combination.

In other words, a dimming receptacle has to have a non-standard z-wave receptacle that regular NEMA 1-15P and 5-15P plugs couldn't fit into.

Now, you could wire your regular receptacle to a z-wave dimming switch, and then mark the receptacle as "CAUTION - FOR LAMP LOADS ONLY". I think that would be acceptable.

Correct. Not many (I've never seen one at all, actually) in-wall dimmable outlets for the reasons above.

Insteon makes one. Lutron makes one (or used to anyway).

Cool. Didn't know that. Makes sense that someone would, I guess.

Which Zooz driver are you using for the ZW15RM? Can't seem to get mine to work :frowning:

It's called "Zooz Power Switch". Although these. Switches are finicky. I have 4 and all were a paint to pair and one of them would never unpaired when I upgraded hubs, so I abandoned it.

Tried using the "Zooz Power Switch" and the power, energy, current does not move :frowning:

I may have to unpair it and try again.

Finicky is an understatement as it relates to these outlets!