In-wall or long USB for touchscreen controller?

Which would be better?
(1) putting an odroid in-wall, behind a flush, wall mounted touchscreen
(2) putting the odroid 15 feet away (in terms of usb length) from the touchscreen and running a USB cable to it?
Would 15 feet of USB (and the accompanying threat to quality and power loss) be better or worse than encasing the odroid in a less than ideal cooling environment?
The USB cable will both power the touchscreen and carry display and touchscreen data.

1 Like

Which Odroid model? If it is a C2, I'd put it behind the touchscreen. OTOH, the XU4 and N2 seem to get pretty warm, so I wouldn't want to do that.

BTW, I changed the category of your post from Support/Devices to Lounge, because it fits better in there.

2 Likes

I was thinking the N2 because it was higher performing. I need to run Sharptools in Chromium browser, along with the Fully Kiosk Browser app on Android OS. So whichever model is best for that.

Other than "just because"... Any reason not to use a tablet? Would be simpler and you could power it and have ethernet with POE

I want the display to be bigger than a tablet.

1 Like

That's a good reason then.

1 Like

Get the new C4. It is more than adequate for your needs and much smaller than the N2, and supports Android Pie. Run Chrome in kiosk mode, I don't believe Fully kiosk browser is supported.

Which display are you thinking of going with?
(interesting thread)

What I really want is the Dell P2418HT. 24” with thin bezels. But I can’t figure out how to flush mount that, or at least mount it to where only an inch or so sticks out from the wall. My backup plan if I can’t figure out something like that is to go with a portable touchscreen, like the ASUS Zenscreen. It’s only 15.6” but only 1.5 lbs so I can just put it up with industrial Velcro or command strips and it will be very sharp looking. I figure I can then upgrade the touchscreen as touchscreen technology gets better (won’t be long til they have nearly paper thing touchscreens that are larger)

Depending on the wall construction you're going to have an issue with flush mounting something that size due to the studs. You may want to look at a thin VESA mount or a in-set TV wall mount to get the screen as close to the wall as you're wanting. However with a screen that size you also have heat/circulation to consider.

2 Likes

What makes you say that? I thought you can install with the APK file? I want to use Fully Kiosk Browser to switch dashboards on hub events using Sharptools (e.g., change dashboard with the weather, so have a nice large sunshine wallpaper dashboard when it’s sunny and a cool rainy dashboard when it’s rainy, just as one example)

1 Like

Hubitat has posted that information about supported operating systems & browsers publicly.

I think I just need to show the sharptools dashboard in the fully kiosk browser. Then sharptools will interface with Hubitat on the backend. That’s my understanding anyway...

1 Like

If it's Sharptools, then Fully kiosk will work.

:arrow_up: This.

1 Like

Yes, if I wanted to mount it horizontally, but I actually prefer portrait orientation.

1 Like