In the News :: SmartThings Edge. Now functions like Hubitat?

Hi all

This smells like ST is migrating towards the Hubitat function of local processing? Are the Samsung folks coming around and upgrading ST to Hubitat levels???? :wink:

Stay Healthy!

3 Likes

I hope Smartthings have stepped up in a big way as it will push the limits for the entire home automation industry.

I came over from Smartthings earlier this year due to how unreliable it had become. The lag time for cloud controlled devices was unacceptable, sometimes devices went offline, and I had weird issues with Zooz switches constantly requiring breaker reset.

I still use Smartthings for some devices and everything has run very smoothly as of late. However, all of my automations are in Hubitat so I haven't really compared the speed of local processing in Smartthings vs Hubitat. I'd be curious to know if there is a noticeable difference in local processing speed be Hubitat and Smartthings with all else equal.

All I know is that it would be hard to beat the c7 local processing speed.

ya i jumped ship last year and this doesnt sound any different without groovy the way to implement automations and apps is unteneable for small developers.

2 Likes

Agreed. Although, there is a path forward for DTHs from individual users/developers.

The new Rules API looks horrendous right now.

1 Like

This has definitely peaked my interest. Local was the reason I went with hubitat in the first place

I’ll believe it when I see it.

They said they were doing local processing when the ST hub v2 came out in 2015.

Granted, this looks like a more significant investment into local processing. But I suspect they may not do a very good job in the end this time as well. I don’t think Samsung really cares about local processing, they seem to have some significant motivations to keep ST users cloud-dependent. But they’re smart enough to know what will make power users and tech “journalists” buzz on the interwebs about the latest ST ”game-changer” for a while.

2 Likes

And their V3 hub has half the RAM as the V2 (only 256M) and a processor that is half as fast.

I do think they will get simple automations running locally. But not more complex setups.

1 Like