In line switch

I have under cabinet lights builder installed. They are hard wired in to a receptacle that is mounted in the tile backsplash. So can't even pulled outlet out unless I remove tiles.

There is basically a two wire lamp cord that comes out under cabinet that is wired into the light. I want to put an inline zigbee or z-wave switch. It seems most inline switches are meant to be mounted in a box as there are exposed connection screws.

Is there anybody that makes one that is self enclosed?

Thanks

SONOFF BASICZBR3
Edit: Hmm, kind of hard to source ATM. :thinking:
It's 120V, which you're looking for...?

2 Likes

I'm not sure about "self-enclosed"... somewhere you must connect the wires, which (to be done safely) needs to be in a junction box.

My suggestion: use a dry contact relay, such as the Zooz zen51, with a shallow box and blank plate

I did this exact thing with the exact device @Ranchitat mentioned and it works great. Just make sure you put the wires in the right terminals on the Sonoff device.

The Sonoff device is enclosed and you feed the wires into each side of it. One side is in from the outlet and the other is out to your light device.

A picture may help to ensure dont give bad advice.

1 Like

now just need to find where to order. Amazon is out of stock as are a few others.

There are a number such devices. I have a couple of qubinos that work well, Zooz makes on or two, and i think the Fibaro smart implant is a possibility too.

S.

Did you ever find the BASICZBR3 anywhere? I have a ceiling light that is currently a fan direct-wired and i want to replace it with a LED ceiling light and put in a zigbee inline module to control it via hubitat. I've seen horror stories with many inline zigbee modules and I want to be sure it works. On/Off is all that's required...though dimmer would be nice.

Thx.

i have not really looked except for when i posted that day. I am struggling between keeping same ceiling fan controller $40+/- that controls fan speed based on temperature or using some rigged up routine. then i have to get switches for fan & light, then add thermostat to the room to control fan speed. then i am spending $100+ for the pieces and at the end of the day the current controller is just way easier and wife friendly.