Impossible to set volume @ 0 (and mute request)

When it's 11PM, I want to set 3 Google Mini quiet, to avoid speeches (except alarms and important warnings).

I defined a Rule 4 to set them all @ 0 but it seems impossible: the validation button disappear !
The minimum possible is 1.
But in my dashboard, I can define the volume @ 0 with volume sliders.

Btw, as a general question, is it better to mute them all or set the volume @ 0 (or 1 if impossible) ?
I noticed that the GM unumuted itself if I increase its volume.
The result seems the same but there is maybe an advantage to select an option better than the other.

Thank you

I ‘turn off’ my speakers every night at 11pm too (except for emergency stuff)

I do this with a virtual switch
Then I use this switch being on as a condition for all my apps etc.
I.e - disable app/rule if this switch is off

You could do this with rules I believe (I don’t use RM but believe it can be done)

Then use another rule to turn on/off the virtual switch at set times

The advantage of this is that I can ‘mute’ my speakers anytime using Alexa
I have a virtual called ‘speakers’ and just tell her to turn it off when I don’t want house announcements.

Andy

1 Like

I think they moved this to Digital Downtime In the Google Home and Google Assistant apps, which isn’t really the same, but I believe the end result will be what you’re looking for more or less.

There used to be a setting where you could specify quite times, but they may have removed it. The settings for my Google Home Hub and my two minis fail to open. No explanation. Suffices to say, I’m generally happier with my Echos as smart speakers, versus the Google Home devices.

The settings are straight forward in Alexa, so I have it set to change its own setting, and since it’s sitting right next to the Google Nest Hub (the only one I care about the volume level), I have Alexa verbally ( at a low volume) tell the Google Nest Hub to set the volume to 20% at night, and 50% during the day. Stupid right? Yeah, I just roll my eyes when someone says Google is kicking but at smart home. :joy: On the contrary, they seem to be questioning its viability already. Looks like they’re going down that familiar road of theirs. Might not be long till it joins Google+ in the graveyard.

This appears to be a bug in our UI. We are investigating. You should be able to set volume to 0. Bug found and fixed, will be in next release.

4 Likes

Hi folks,
did you checked this one ?

At first, I'm unable to edit an action (no menu except insert) and the menu becomes available only if I insert an action, do nothing, go back... and only then the edit/delete options become visible.

We'd have to see the steps leading up to this. It's possible that Insert was clicked by mistake, and left the UI in this state. All you have to do is insert an action, then delete it.

It is not at all clear from your screenshot exactly what you were trying to do, or what you mean by "add a second independent condition". Do you mean add a condition to the existing IF-THEN?

About the second loop, I want to lock automaticaly my yale 10 minutes after the entry, if the lock is still unlocked.
But that second action should be activated anytime (not after sunset), so inserting in the first loop is not correct.
Before the loop then ? Not if there is a delay of 10 minutes because the porch light loop must be activated directly and not 10 minutes after this... (because I understand that the rules are sequential and not parallel).

1. unlock / notify / speak
  2. run the sunset porch light loop (if between sunset and sunrise)
  3. lock the yale after 10 minutes (if still unlocked)

Is it possible in one rule or should I create an independent separated rule (if still unlocked then lock it) ? I don't want to use the geofencing strategy of yale locks because I don't like geofencing for that (phone stolen ?) and non registered users could enter my home without my presence.

Btw, I discovered another problem today (posted a new one about adding a new google home into my home).

Thank you
Mike