Ikea TRÅDFRI Outlet keeps clicking

I have about 10 of these Ikea TRÅDFRI outlets. Out of those, two of those randomly click when they are ON. It's usually a 1-2 repeated relay clicks, then a gap of anywhere from a minute to a few minutes, and they click again.

One I had connected to load drawing ~7.5 amps for about 4 weeks and then clicking started.
The other never had a load on it and started within 2 days. (I was just using it as a spare repeater).

I tried unplugging for a while, factory resetting, hitting Configure, different outlets, different breaker. No change.

Thoughts? Are they just dying relays?

Could you have hit the flashing command by any chance? Assuming it's for the same commands as my samsung outlet. I hit this at one point, unfortunately I can't remember how I stopped it ..

With the Ikea TRADFRI Control Outlet Driver, I don't have a flashing option. Also, it seems it's more random than a consistent on/off flash.

Ok, was worth a shot....

Perhaps turn on all the logging options and keep an eye on the logs ..

Thanks. I watched the two with debug logging enabled, and no other apps controling them. No logs other than that they triggered on (when I told them to) yesterday.

That is strange. I can't think of anything else, hopefully someone else has had this happen...

Thanks. It feels more of a mechanical/physical relay issue than a Hubitat thing, but figured I'd see if others had issues with them. Perhaps poor quality control or I was unlucky. I can't complain for $10.

@tzoom

Happened to one of mine. After a while the back of the Tradfri outlet became really hot even though there was no load connected to it. So I removed and discarded it.

1 Like

Wow, not what I was expecting... :astonished:

Yep no luck

Do you have any Peanut plugs?

I had 4 Tradfris that did the clicking you describe, and also occasionally became unresponsive. I assumed they were defective and threw one in the trash and the others in a drawer.

I also had 4 Peanut plugs, which seemed to work fine despite the anecdotes on these forums about Peanut plugs causing zigbee network instability.

Recently, I started wondering whether my Tradfri problems and the Peanut anecdotes were related. I ran an experiment of removing all the Peanuts and bringing back my ‘defective’ Tradfris, as I needed range repeaters for Xiaomi sensors. To my surprise, the Tradfris worked flawlessly and some occasionally-unresponsive Sengled bulbs became rock solid. Everything worked great until I re-added a Peanut temporarily at the perimeter of my network for the outdoor Christmas lights (surely it can’t mess up the network routing if it’s at the edge?), whereupon the Tradfri gremlins returned. Re-retiring the Peanut plug fixed the problem.

My takeaway is that Peanut plugs work fine on a zigbee network of peanut plugs, but they don’t play nicely with other devices.

1 Like

No Peanut plugs here. But you bring a good point. I have a few Centralite plugs. I'll remove those just to double check.