Ikea On Off Dimmer switch

You mean and it won't effect the bulbs connection to the Hue hub?

I don't have a genuine Hue bridge but I believe you have to first "pair" the remote to the bridge. It won't actually pair but it will get the key from the bridge. Then when you pair the remote to the bulb it won't "steal" the connection to the bulb. That's what i've done with my Lutron Connected bulb remotes.

Hi, ..a bit late
But wanted to let you know if it's not to late, that you can use the ikea switch directly to the ikea bulbs or hue bulbs, but not via the Hubitat Hub.
After you have added your bulbs to Hubitat network, simply pair your IKEA switch by, following the instructions you got with the switch.

Unfortunately, it seems that you can only do this with bulbs but not with the IKEA outlet .
If anyone knows a way, do tell.

For the outlet I had to upgrade the firmware, I also upgraded the button. After that I was able to touchlink. It's useful since the outlet doesn't have a button.

It might be possible to create an app for Hubitat that would read the group of the button and then add other Zigbee devices to that group. I do that manually now with a Conbee 2. Inovelli wrote an app for Zwave devices that does the equivalent for Zwave.

So you mean that you have an Ikea outlet, that is both connected to the Hubitat hub and works locally with the ikea switch?
What firmware are it on now? Where can I tell witch is mine? And can I upgrade without the ikea tradfri hub??
Thanks

Yes, both are on the Hubitat Zigbee network. I can control the outlet with Hubitat and the button at the same time.

Firmware:
Outlet: 2.0.022
Button: 2.2.010

You can switch the driver for a device to "Device" and hit the Get Info bottom while watching the logs. The firmware version will be printed in the logs. Then switch the drive back to the original. You might have to push the Ikea On Off button a few times when you are pushing the Get Info button in Hubitat. The button has to be woke up since it is a battery device.

I use the a Conbee 2 to upgrade the firmware while the device is on the Hubitat network. It is not a trial setup and there is little info on how to do that. You could create a separate network with the Conbee join the devices to that network, update them, then put them back on the Hubitat network.

https://phoscon.de/en/conbee2

The Smartthings hub might update Tradfri devices but I'm not sure. You would have to check their forum.

1 Like

There's a post here on that button, I paired mine fine but the buttons didn't work

Well, the ikea tradfri button works only locally (touchlink). So you won't see it in the Hubitat but you can turn on/of and dimm the lights. I do so successfully with many lights. The problem was to use the button in connection with the ikea tradfri outlet.
But as Oscpeaaron said, it's due to the old firmware. Wich I will update today and see what happens:)

I'm intrigued by Conbee 2. Is there a version that is standalone, which doesn't need to be connected to a PC?
And are you sure I can update my ikea tradfri devices with it?
And how do use it with Hubitat? How can you keep a device paired on both?
Thank you!

I bought the Conbee to map my Zigbee network instead of a Xbee. Their software Deconz allows the device to be set as a router. You can then add that device to Hubitat. It will show you all your devices and their routing table displayed as a map. It also lets you send commands to devices. You can then update devices if you have a firmware file and can get the device to see the Conbee as the OTA server. Normally this can be done by disabling the Hubitat Zigbee radio then before the network fall apart power cycle the device that you want to upgrade (you also have to assign the firmware to the device in question in Deconz). Then when the upgrade starts you can reenanble the Hubitat radio so the network doesn't go into rebuild.

I will caution anybody it is a highly manual process and setting up Deconz is not straight forward. I have Deconz running in a Docker container on a Linux server but I think there are other options.

Hi Huby,
Good to know! Any tips on how to do this? I can add the bulb to the HE just fine, but as soon as I pair the dimmer switch by following the instructions in the box, the bulb stops talking to the HE.

I am also experimenting with this switch, I also have the Up/Down button from one of their smart blinds that I wish I could get working with Hubitat. At this point, investing time / money into getting a $6 button to work via Deconz or similar seems excessive.

Does anybody know of any other compatible devices that are similar in design / functionality? I am using a few Hue Dimmer Remotes for various thing in the house, but thinking of putting together a physical control panel in entrance hallway for some of my devices and these looked perfect for the job. I would love to see suggestions, I have seen some things from Fibaro (extremely ugly IMO, who wants an actual orb watching every step through the house? what were the designers smoking :smiley:), Aqara / Xiaomi with their smart wall switches, but nothing as compact and "cute" as the IKEA ones.

EDIT: After playing with the Hue Essentials app (great stuff, unlocked it straight away), I manage to control the bulb with the remote only once, immediately after pairing. If I switch the bulb off via the app (either Hue Essentials or Philips Hue app), the button seems to just drop off. I watched, re-watched the videos, tried several times, even removed the battery from the remote and reset it once more after, no dice. Mind you I have not tried to do this while pairing direct to HE Hub, should I give this a go? Anybody have any luck with it?

I just finish this take a look

1 Like

I can confirm I have used @martinez.mp3 's deCONZ integration with a conbee 2 usb stick plugged into my rpi 4. Works great for me to control my Somfy RTS shades linked to a Bond Bridge which in turn is linked to my HE.

Oscopeaaron, can you explain more how you accomplished being able to control the Tradfri outlet with the button and with the hubitat? I have the same or newer firmware (same on the on/off switch, 2.0.024 on the outlet) but after pairing with the hub, when I touch-link the on/off control (hold sync button for 10 seconds near the outlet) I can no longer control it with the hub. If I reset the outlet and repair with the hun, I can no longer control it with the on/off switch.
Thanks!

It's been awhile since I did it. I think paired the outlet and button to the Hubitat. Then did the touchlink. It worked at the time for the outlet. I recently got some tradfri blinds and tried the same thing with the blinds and the open/close controller (looks almost the same as the on/off buttons, but made slightly nicer) but I had the issue with the blinds leaving the network after the touch link. Didn't have a lot of time to troubleshoot so I never got that working.

You were right, I had to pair the button to the hub before touch-linking the outlet. It makes sense since that's the way you would do it with the Gateway, too: pair the switch with the gateway first, then touch-link with the outlet.
I guess it's like someone said, if it's paired with the hub even though it doesn't really work with it, then the touch link won't "steal" the pairing but will still work.

So now the hub and the button can both control the outlet, thanks!

Hi, I'm quite new here but I have problem with the same switch. I hope it fits in your conversation.
So I can connect bulbs to Hubitat and control from it and I can also connect the switch to the bulbs. The problem is that if I connect the bulbs to the hubitat and after that I connect the switch to the bulbs, they lose connection with the hubitat.
I was able to connect the switch to hubitat but as @Huby said it do not work. I wouldn't mind if I could control bulbs from hubitat and with the switch separately.

Thanks

Not sure if anyone cares any more since it's been a year since the last post here but I just managed to get my button to control the bulbs while also controlling the bulbs through HE. Button firmware was 2.2.010 and I did not update it - that was the firmware out of the box. I also don't know how to update the firmware even if I wanted to. The steps are as follows:

1. I first paired the bulbs with HE. These are 2 x 816 lm WW Ikea bulbs, in case that is relevant. I also set them up as Generic Zigbee Bulbs since the dedicated Ikea Bulb profile only allows me to turn them on and off and not control brightness. Also some recommended the Generic Zigbee CT profile but these are WW bulbs with temp fixed at 2700 K so that's not needed here. Generic Zigbee Bulb works just fine with these.

2. I powered off the bulbs from the outlet - important since trying to pair the button with HE could trigger a premature touchlink integration with the bulbs. It says 5 cm but I saw it "work" from as far as 25 cm away when I did this the first time so it's best to be safe and power them off from the outlet.

3. I paired the button with HE using the generic Zigbee radio search option. I had to keep pressing the pairing button at the back instead of keeping it pressed the way I normally did with touchlink. The red light flashed first and then turned solid and HE switched to "initialising" and then asked me to assign it a label. I then did the log thing recommended by @oscopeaaron above. Isolated the logs to just the device tag I had assigned the device, kept pressing the on and off button while pressing the getinfo button on the interface and got the information I was looking for (the firmware). This step doesn't seem directly relevant to the end goal but I am sharing it since this was the exact sequence I followed and I do not know whether this helped me at the end in anyway.

4. Once the button was paired, I powered on one bulb, tested that I could control it with HE, did another getinfo check on the button, confirmed that that worked and I could see the firmware, manufacturer etc in the device logs, and then did the touchlink with that bulb by placing the button within 5 cm and long pressing the pair button until the bulb first dimmed and then oscillated a bit before coming on very brightly.

5. At this point I first turned it on and off using the button and it worked. I then opened the device on the HE interface and saw that the device state was changing when I turned the bulb on and off using the button. I then hit on in the HE and the bulb turned on and hit off and the device turned off. Success! I also tested brightness with the button and repeated the test with the HE interface as well. Worked well and using the button to control brightness did not break the HE-Bulb linkage (not sure why it would but since this is basically black magic as far as I, a lawyer and definitely not an engineer, am concerned, who knows what action might displease the fickle Zigbee Gods?)

6. Powered the first bulb off from the outlet and powered on the second one. Repeated step 5 with it. Was able to control both brightness and power state with no issues.

7. Tested with both bulbs and I was able to control them both together using the button and individually and together using HE.

Also the power state updates very quickly (<1 sec) when I toggle one of the bulbs using the button but I need to hit refresh on the other one for it to update the state (though, on the bright side, it does update when I hit refresh). Changing the brightness, on the other hand, requires me to hit refresh for the value to update for either bulb.

Anyhow, I hope this can be of some help! Thank you to all of you for helping me with this. Best of luck @bajusz.patrik!

2 Likes