IFTTT connected weather station

Can data from an IFTTT connected weather station be sent to Hubitat through the Hubitat built-in IFTTT app?

I've been trying to figure out a way but can't figure one out using the built in functionality and while I've programmed in more languages than I can count over the years, I find groovy to be just bizarre. This is probably just a personal problem.

Any ideas would be welcome

Thanks in advance for the help

No.

But you can send it to Hubitat through the maker webhooks service in IFTTT. What kind of data do you want to send from your weather station to Hubitat? What weather station do you have?

1 Like

Thanks @Ryan780. I thought that would be the case but I figured I would ask. I don't want to use the IFTTT webhooks service as it requires a port forward on your router and, in this day and age, that is a really bad idea from a network security perspective. I know of too many cases of people with port forwards to their smart home systems having issues due to some hacker discovering the open port and, just for the fun of it, sending streams of garbage at the smart home processor until it brought the system to its knees.

One of my primary reasons for integrating a Hubitat hub into my personal system was to eliminate 2 open ports on my router that thankfully hadn't been discovered. One of those ports was for IFTTT webhooks calls.

I have a weatherflow smart weather station.

Thanks

Actually, no port forwarding required to use IFTTT webhooks with Hubitat. You could very simply create some virtual devices on Hubitat for Temperature and Humidity, for example. Then, expose those devices via the built-in Hubitat Maker API application. This will allow you to create encrypted, OAuth2, Hubitat Cloud Endpoints that can be used by the IFTTT webhooks to send data via the Hubitat cloud.hubitat.com server to your Hubitat Hub. Again, without port forwarding. This is the same way Hubitat Cloud Dashboards, Amazon Alexa, and Google Home all work with Hubitat.

2 Likes

Thanks so much @ogiewon!! That is a very innovative approach that I'll absolutely give a try.

Thanks again

1 Like

I'm having trouble getting this to work. I added a virtual temperature sensor (ID 150) to my Hubitat . I added the temp sensor to the list of devices that the Maker api app has access to on the Maker API settings page and pressed the update button. I also turned on "Allow Access through Remote / Cloud" in the Maker API settings page.

However, when I execute the below command to set the temperature of the sensor to 75 in the address bar of my browser

https://cloud.hubitat.com/apps/api/37/devices/150/setTemperature/75?access_token=xxxxxxx

All I get back is

{"message":"Forbidden"}

Any idea on what I could be missing would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the help

That cloud link is not correct. It should include your hub ID. I would check the link fro mteh Maker API again. It should look like:
cloud.hubitat.com/api/[HUB-ID]/apps

1 Like

Thanks @Ryan780. That is what I was missing. I thought the access token was enough to handle the routing to the hub.

Thanks all. I have it working now

2 Likes