If you're looking for motion sensors

I can't say enough good things about the NYCE NCZ-3043-HA & NCZ-3041-HA. Will see how they do on battery life but they paired with no issues and seem to be very quick to trigger. They are a little pricey but I think they were worth it.

3 Likes

Wow...at $50 each I would expect them to hover over to me on tiny jets and tell me personally each time they sense motion. :wink: They do have a really cool look, and ceiling mount is nice. Reminds me of my ceiling mount Unifi AP. Sleek.

2 Likes

I have a few of these, they are low profile and detect humidity so I’ve got them in bathrooms. I can attest they are pricey but are about the smallest sensors I’ve seen. Very happy so far.

1 Like

Ya I should have mentioned the size. The wall unit is about the size of a Bic lighter. And the ceiling unit is a bit bigger around than a silver dollar. Really compact compared to other sensors and what with the WAF to consider.... :joy:

1 Like

I use a bunch of these in my house, and love them.

A little more expensive than I would like them to be, but not really out of line with other premium dealers like aeotec.

This is the pic on amazon. Looks like a circa 1960's flying saucer. I might have to open it up and see if I can find Will Robinson anywhere in there. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I've been using Iris and SmartThings motion sensors for years, and find them both very fast and very reliable. I primarily rely on the Iris as they are very small (higher WAF) and generally the quickest for me.

I never thought (until seeing this sensor) of trying to do a ceiling mount w/one of the Iris sensors. I'm going to give it a try in the utility room, where I won't get into trouble if I mark up the ceiling a little.

If these ever go on sale I'll be first in line.

3 Likes

Nice, I just don't have the $$$'s to spend right now. I need about 10 of these for a new project and they want to use their existing Ecobee investment for occupancy. If they had $600 more for this project I am sure they would jump on board.

The Ecobee occupancy sensors are useless outside of very specific scenarios due to the slowness that they register occupancy and just as importantly report unoccupancy.

I don't find them useful for anything, really.

That's why I have so many of these installed:
https://byjasco.com/products/ge-z-wave-plus-smart-motion-dimmer

Yes I know they are not motion they are occupancy. Exactly what they want. I have been using them in my home for a long time. Not triggering entry into the room but triggering when the room is unoccupied. Not every use case needs instant actions.

Well, triggering when the room is unoccupied for a LONG TIME... But yeah, if that very delayed unoccupied reading is useful then the sensors can be handy (especially if you already have them)!.

How the heck did I not even know those smart motion light switches existed?!

Very nice. How are they at off-angle, long-distance motion sensing? I've got a spot where that might be useful, but the location they have to sense to is about 30+ feet away.

And do you find they work as well as standalone motion sensors mounted higher up on the wall or on a bookcase or other tall furniture (which is what I typically do w/my motion sensors).

I don't have any spaces where they are 30 ft away. They do 20 ft no problem though.

For placement - that will depend on the house I guess. In my house I found that the light switches are in conveniently unblocked areas, so it really hasn't been an issue. I have the motion dimmers in literally every room of my house (every main room, every bathroom, kitchen, garage, laundry, closets, etc).

There is 1 room where that isn't true, though. Since the wall switch is blocked by a plant I had to use a wall mounted smartthings motion sensor.

Damn plants...they always get what they want. :wink:

Thanks for the info. I just replaced three switches, two of which would have been perfect applications of these. Really wish I had been paying attention in class, must have slept through the lecture on these.

They are handy devices. I flip the bedroom ones to "manual" mode at night so the lights don't turn on when I roll over. :wink:

The rest of the time i leave them in occupancy mode so I get super fast motion lighting (with no hub needed for those that can run in occupancy mode).

1 Like

OK, now you're just showing off...

1 Like

Is the operation of the motion sensor separable from operation of the switch? I.e., can you use the motion sensor in a simple motion rule apart from it affecting the switch? Unclear from the manual and spec sheet whether the only way to operate the motion sensor are the occupancy/vacancy modes.

Yes. When the device is in manual mode, you have a motion sensor and a separate dimmer. They are decoupled, but both usable by the hub.

When in occupancy or vacancy mode, the motion will directly control the dimmer. They both still report as separate values on the device though (you will still see motion go active inactive, the switch that is go on off, and the dimmer level percent change in the hub).

2 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation, but as yourself and others have stated, they're pricey.

Honestly, I enjoy using the WyzeSense motion sensor and [RELEASE] Alpha WyzeSense Integration. It works perfectly for the motion and contact sensors (and the Wyze stuff is cheap as heck)

1 Like

I have never seen a $5.99 (regular price) motion sensor. That is a pretty amazing price point.