I'd love to get rid of this unknown zigbee device

Does it show on the Zigbee details list or only the graph/map ?

Wondering what the message count is, if its in the list.

All the items listed have a valid 4-digit address and none are called "unknown". So it's just in the network graph

Loopback device?

What's that? :smiley:

I would just ignore it honestly, I doubt it is causing any problems.

Open up the Zigbee logs for a bit and see if there anything "unknown" spamming the mesh.

I think this is the most possible thing .. I have ( 3 ) Unknowns ..
I am sure they were devices that I never reset/removed correctly.

they are " ghosts" that the ZigBee chip thinks are still around but are not.
I do not think it hurts anything

And The only way I can figure to get rid of them would be to reset
zigbee and readd all my stuff .. and its not worth it.

See : [RELEASE] Zigbee Map app

The Frient sensors are pretty chatty but nothing is coming in from anything I don't recognise.

@WarlockWeary those unknowns you have, do they show "Address: unknown 0" when you hover, same as mine?

No .. they show a adress ... what map you using ?
this one ?

No I am using the inbuilt "View Device Graph" option under Settings/Zigbee Details. Tempted to try the app if it will give me more info

yes install it .. and see if you get a address ..
its very good and works really well .. and you can "turn off" unknow devices.
so you can ignore them easier LOL

1 Like

I have seen this, and outside of a device that never was removed or removed improperly, it seems to me that HE retains old zigbee addresses more aggressively than it should, even rejoining old devices left powered on. The only other time I've seen this is with a device that HE doesn't fully support, like an Xbee, or possibly a device that didn't fully pair. I keep a spreadsheet of all Zigbee devices 64 bit MAC addresses. I used to track the 16bit addresses too, but that was a futile effort in many cases.

The great thing about the Zigbee map app by @dandanache is the map appears to accurately estimate the location of the device, like your unknown is highly likely to be very near to Heater WS and Siren Drying Room.

One other thing , some Zigbee devices deploy multiple end points, and I think that siren could be a candidate for having multiple endpoints. You could try disconnecting the siren and rerun the Zigbee Mapp app and see if the unknown disappears.

1 Like

You could be onto something there! I'll check that out tomorrow

Maybe a month ago, maybe less, I had an unknown on the chart.
Just now, because of this thread, lol, I checked and it's gone.
How long has your unknown been hanging around?

I've had it over a month. I'd ignore it if my zigbee network was stable, but it's not. At least once a week a few things (not always the same ones) become unresponsive, and I've got powered repeaters in every room. I am starting on the process of moving away from relying on zigbee connections to the hub but plan to continue to use Hubitat for master control of my home. Hopefully in the process if there are particular devices that are responsible for my problems that will become apparent.

(NB I am using the best channels/bands for everything that are available in my physical environment)

I'm not a Zigbee mesh, or actually, mesh in general, devotee, LOL.

2 Likes

Now that's tidy! :smiley:

1 Like

It didn't show the unknown device, but I get the feeling it is starting from the ones that are listed then testing their connections. My unknown device isn't even in that list. However the app has confirmed one thing I have been wondering - that Xenon power strip has more bad than good connections between it and other devices. I think it has to go. Now that does have several endpoints so if it's a "spare" endpoint problem that could solve it.

1 Like

This is.usually caused by repeaters that dont purge their neighbor table.

1 Like

This unknown however is shown as a direct child of the hub :frowning:

Ok hard to tell from initial pic

1 Like