I think I have about given up on Hubitat

They now have a full range of zigbee 3 products (which look exactly like Xiaomi products).

I’m assuming that your garden spots are the Osram ones. I have 4 of the newer Ledvance ones that have been working perfectly since I installed them. They are on a separate “lights only” hub with around 60 other Smart+ rgbw lights (no older Osram stuff), 7 GE in-wall zigbee dimmers, and nothing else. No slowdowns anymore either, which was probably due to the peanuts that were constantly changing routes when I had them on the hub.

2 Likes

I did not know this! Where do I buy and do the play nicely with HE?

@Ken_Fraleigh No idea.

The fingerprint is this though - says LEDVANCE, but there are at least 3 model/manufacturer codes I've found for these devices, so who knows. :man_shrugging:

{"id":6,"type":"Router","ieeeAddr":"0xf0d1b80000078a36","nwkAddr":9762,"manufId":4489,"manufName":"LEDVANCE","powerSource":"Mains (single phase)","modelId":"Outdoor Accent Light RGB","epList":[1],"endpoints":{"1":{"profId":260,"epId":1,"devId":258,"inClusterList":[0,3,4,5,6,8,768,2821,64513],"outClusterList":[25],"clusters":{"genBasic":{"attributes":{"modelId":"Outdoor Accent Light RGB","manufacturerName":"LEDVANCE","powerSource":1,"zclVersion":2,"appVersion":1,"stackVersion":2,"hwVersion":0,"dateCode":"Jan 8 2019\u0000\u0000\u0000\u0000\u0000"}}},"binds":}},"appVersion":1,"stackVersion":2,"hwVersion":0,"dateCode":"Jan 8 2019\u0000\u0000\u0000\u0000\u0000","zclVersion":2,"interviewCompleted":true,"meta":{},"lastSeen":1585271772427}

I have usd their motion sensors and their window/door sensors with HE, and no issues.
They may be purchased from the usual suspects: alieexpress and sometimes banggood.

Please note: I am not paid to promote any products, nor do I receive any commission thereof. Any recommendations that I make are strictly of a personal nature only. Your mileage may vary...

2 Likes

I think that this discussion begs the question:
Is it the responsibility of Hubitat to make it more probable the Zigbee lights should stay on the Hubitat Zigbee mesh?
or is it the responsibility of the Hubitat owner to rearrange things so that his/her devices will stay on the mesh?
As we have seen, other Home Automation hubs have taken steps to "make up" for the shortcomings of various devices. Is that something that Hubitat should do as well?
Or, should they take the attitude that devices that play by the standards, will be supported, all others are "at your own risk".

Personally, I'm quite comfortable with the current approach. I know that if I get something that is not on their compatibility chart, I'm taking a risk, and it's completely my responsibility.

4 Likes

I have seen 2 different versions of these ones. One wasn’t recognized properly on the Lightify hub and wouldn’t update to the latest firmware version (00102428 I believe) so I sent it back. None of mine would update via SmartThings. My Flex XL and HO RGBW recessed (Ledvance) wouldn’t update on SmartThings either, I had to use the Lightify gateway for them as well. They all use the latest firmware, which seems to have improved everything.

I’m with you on this. The problem is that this approach probably alienates a lot of the possible Hubitat user market. People complain SmartThings and WebCoRE are too difficult to learn to use. They’re not going to want to debug their system. Plus, people want to add everything right away (myself included) and then have no idea which device started the trouble.

2 Likes

I guess with so many products and so many variables the ownership should be on the end user...unless someone starts shipping a hub with further hardware that creates a stable mesh around the house.

The real problem is that the zigbee qualification and interoperability testing sucks. Any vendor can slap zigbee on their product whether it plays nice with other products or not, whether it repeats correctly or not, and whether it uses standard clusters or 100% proprietary manufacturer specific clusters or not.

So unless the hub vendor wants to put in tons of workarounds, where that's even an option it is not always, it will always be up to the end user to be careful about which zigbee devices they buy.

It's one of the reasons I prefer zwave - it is very very rare to find a zwave device that will cause harm to the mesh and other devices. That doesn't mean there aren't crappy zwave devices - there are - but their crappiness (almost always) stays local to that device and doesn't impact the rest of the network.

1 Like

I've found that bad Z-Wave devices only slow down Z-Wave operations while bad Zigbee devices tend to impact the Hub directly.. both can impact rules and such though.

Aren't Zigbee device pairings etc stored on the hub itself rather than on the stick like Z-Wave? If so then the behaviors I've witnessed kind of make sense.

1 Like

Oooo you and @JasonJoel starting a ZigBee Vs Zwave challenge.

I like both protocols for different reasons - Z-Wave just seems to work across many different devices as @JasonJoel said, has a lower frequency so can travel farther while zigbee seems faster sometimes and is not "hop" limited. With Zigbee if you use recommended devices (from these forums and HE) then it works great too - my sengled bulbs, smartthings water sensors and buttons and Iris V2 motion detectors have all been very reliable.

I had issues connected to this early on, it work for ages with no issues at all. Then my parents came to look after my kid one night and I turn on the guest WiFi, with in a few hours they were calling me saying lights were staying on or not turning on. Next day I had to re join loads of stuff. Had to happen again before I clicked and checked all the channels. Once fixed and chosen ones that don't interfere with each other, I have not had those issue again.

I'm not a zigbee hater by any means - Have 40 or so zigbee devices in use currently. :slight_smile:

I love the cheap zigbee sensors, I just wish that when you bought something stamped "zigbee" that you would have some assurance it would have to work on a normal zigbee mesh, and not require end user validation, research, testing...

As it is now "zigbee" doesn't mean anything other than "I need to test this for myself". That doesn't mean I don't buy them - I know when I'm getting myself into each time.

5 Likes

I'm OK with the current approach too, but it's worth nothing that pretty much all of these bulbs are on the compatible-device list (you'll find GE Link, Sylvania/Osram, directly-paired Hue, Cree, and probably others I've heard less about). It might be good for them to include a note about this there, which they've sort of already done for Hue in stating that the Bridge is recommended. I understand the difficultly in evaluating individual Zigbee repeaters as being "OK" or not (Peanuts, anyone?), but this particular issue seems to be widely-attested enough (both from user problems and also elsewhere in their own docs) that it might be worth doing something about here. :thinking:

7 Likes

This exactly. Also, if I recall correctly, Hubitat was heavily marketed as a local replacement for SmartThings. To say that and then tell people that all these devices that worked fine on SmartThings will not be supported on this platform, even when the cause and workaround is known, is kind of a kick in the pants.

Anyway, all lightify and gardenspots are off my hubitat, devices removed, rules updated. I also went and tried a soft reset to see if that helps any. Here's hoping.

1 Like

I think there needs to be a "notes" column in that table for things like this. There are quite a few similar issues that could be noted here. Devices that have multiple hardware or firmware versions that are the same in name only would be a good example.

1 Like

whilst there can be issues with devices that have been certified by the Zigbee Alliance, they are far far fewer than those that are not certified...
If a device of interest isn't listed here under Zigbee Home Automation or Zigbee 3.0 certification, expect a crap shoot as to whether it will play nice or not...

4 Likes

That is an excellent point! Lightify Osram Ledvance Sylvania Smart+ comes to mind; all of the A19 RGBWs are model 73693. It makes no sense.

1 Like