I think deleted rule is still running

Can this light be controlled by Alexa or Google Home? Alexa has a new feature that automatically adds automations based on user habitsā€¦ I wonder if this could be the causeā€¦?

2 Likes

Try removing the device from Alexa, and see if that fixes the problem, at least as an experiment. You can change a setting in the Alexa app to stop ā€œhunchesā€.

2 Likes

I did confirm that there are no routines that use both of these devices, but just to be absolutely sure I excluded the light from devices exposed to Alexa and the problem persists.

Edit:
I also removed IFTTT integration just to be 100% certain even though I don't really use it anyway.

So there is nothing showing on the device page for In Use By?

Could you have a Z-Wave association between these two devices? You might remove one, exclude it, reset it, then rejoin it.

2 Likes

Could you post a screen shot of this rule and also itā€™s event subscriptions?

I lied a bit. There are 2 rules, but they are related to each other so I forgot they are separate rules. Screenshot for both attached. I didn't have any logging enabled for either so I don't have any event subscriptions. Not sure if I understood your request correctly though.

I am using this light in a bunch of rules, but only the two I posted screenshots above ALSO use the sensor that's triggering the light to turn off. The rest are just button triggers.
This is what light is used by:

This is the sensor:

I do not. I avoid direct z-wave associations specifically because they are difficult to track.

So, disable or pause those two rules for a test... And turn on logging for both, all logging.

2 Likes

That was it. I did not completely understand how Rule Machine operates. First rule was constantly triggering on motion regardless of mode and second rule was immediately passing the wait for mode condition.

I'll rewrite the rule or find something else if I can't work around the limitations of Rule Machine.
Thanks everyone for your help!

2 Likes

Hardly a "limitation", that it does what you told it to do! Suggest you lose the Other Triggers trigger, and use Run Action instead from the first rule, at the point where you actually want it to happen.

2 Likes

I assume you might end up rewriting this anyway, but it should also be noted that the "Stop Repeating Actions" in your second rule will not affect the repeat in the first, which I assume was your intent. This action applies only to repeats within the same rule. You could use the "Cancel Timed Actions" action from the second rule and invoke it on the first rule (this is one of few actions that lets you pick another rule to invoke the action on, and it technically affects more than repeats, as indicated in the UI, but shouldn't matter in this case).

If you explan what you're going for (in plain language, not RM), you might also get some ideas from the community. For example, it looks to me like you might be able to just put this all in one rule and eliminate any of the above complications (the action after END-REP will only be executed after the repeat is done, so no need to put them in a separate rule just to get that outcome), but it depends on what you really want. Good luck, and glad you got this much figured out!

1 Like

Very simple:
I want a light to flash when I get home and mode is set to away to remind me to turn off the alarm.
I then want it to stop flashing once I set mode to home.

Thanks.

Maybe something like...

3 Likes

BPTWorld's The Flasher app might do most of what you want, either by itself, or with just a basic rule to toggle a switch.

1 Like

RM doesn't support logic on triggers or having multiple required triggers. These are the limitations I was talking about.

I think I can work around them knowing more about RM though, but it looks like The Flasher does exactly what I want with no effort. Thank you

Testing for presence (I assume it uses Geo fencing) sort of makes sense, but

1. I want intruders to also immediately know alarm is active.
  2. I don't want to forget to disarm just because I forgot my phone somewhere.
  3. If I do have my phone it'll disarm the alarm automatically so I don't need a reminder anyway.

Thanks again for your help everyone. I'll stick with Flasher for now unless I need more advanced functionality.

1 Like

To be clear, my device was named "TEST Presence" (a virtual sensor I used to write this rule)--there is no "testing" going on, just a regular trigger: when the event happens, the trigger fires, and your rule actions run. You said you wanted this to happen "when you come home" and this was my best guess, so if you're not using a presence device to do that, just trigger on whatever event corresponds to that for you (maybe a specific motion sensor becoming active or a door/contact sensor opening?). Other than this, I believe the rule should do exactly what you asked.

3 Likes

RM does support multiple triggers when using OR but if you are trying to use AND with multiple triggers, RM will not. That is not a RM limitation however, that is a limitation with reality. In order to achieve an AND, both triggers would have to occur at the exact same moment in time which is impossible.

5 Likes

There is a new feature coming in Release 2.2.8 that allows for testing of conditions prior to triggering a rule.

9 Likes

Just wanted to elaborate that even in 2.2.7 itā€™s easy to add a second required trigger via conditions. You put in both triggers in your automation (a or b), then you use an if statement to check all conditions (a and b) before running the rule.