I purchased a second hub because some of my automations were slowing down. What's the best method for speeding things up? Split devices in half by location? Put devices on one hub and automations on another?what is the easiest way to move existing?

I purchased a second hub because some of my automations were slowing down. What's the best method for speeding things up? Split devices in half by location? Put devices on one hub and automations on another?what is the easiest way to move existing devices/automations?

The answer to your questions resides in the root cause of your slow down. Narrowing down what causes the slow down would give you the best way forward. Automations slowing down is not normal no matter how many you have.

1 Like

It depends, but you've got the experts on the case, so rest assured you will get an answer :slight_smile:

I'd encourage you to look at the additional tabs added in recent years to the Logs page that indicate Devices or Apps that may be adding to your load.

Also, look at temporarily turning Devices or Apps on and off to test theories as to which may be controbiting to the additional load you are seeing.

I wasn't referring to myself BTW.... :slight_smile:

There are many, many different approaches, none of which are necessarily wrong. It really depends on what is driving the hub to slow down. I will share my personal approach but it's not necessarily the right one for you.

I have all of my zigbee and zwave devices on a single hub - formerly a C7 now a C8. It's about 180 in all. I have a Lutron Pro hub for switches and several Hue hubs for smart bulbs. The integrations for these are all on my primary hub, bringing the total device count to somewhere around 400.

I generally have all of my security-related activities on a second hub. It controls the interface to my alarm system (envislaink in my case), has a second instance of Hue integration to control my outside security lights, and houses the integration with my camera system and AI-driven NVR.

I have a third hub that houses some of my more intense rules, mostly around presence. I am not allowed to put "tracking" apps on phones because apparently that's some sort of invasion of privacy so I use a combination of wifi presence sensors, pings, Unifi integrations, etc., to try to figure out if the house is empty. Those are really resource-intensive and incredibly inefficient so I have them all on a separate hub,

And then I have a fourth hub for messing around.

I try to keep rules close to the hub that houses the devices involved and I use hub mesh to "share" devices when that doesn't work out. There is some overhead to hub mesh so I am fairly careful about what gets exposed to the mesh.

You can use the clone function to move rules and most apps from one hub to another without too much trouble, though you have to make sure whatever devices the rules need are accessible (via hub mesh or otherwise) on the target hub.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.