I need suggestions for a battery backup for my router

After loosing the power on the weekend I realized that I need a battery backup for my router. I have everything else plugged into a big UPS but my router is located elsewhere in the house. Can anyone suggest a mini sized UPS that my router can be connected to so that it will last a few hours when the power goes out. I guess my modem would need to plugged in also.

Well, there's this, from Amazon:

... probably overkill for your needs, but should last awhile with only a router and modem plugged in the backup outlets ...

Also, if you're a Costco member, I'd go there to see what they have ...

1 Like

The CyberPowers are awesome - I've got 5 of the 1000AVRs here, all working flawlessly.

Here's a link to their Amazon store, where you'll find all shapes and sizes of UPS and other power accessories.

This looks like another vote for CyberPower:

My preference is always APC
Something like 1000 - 1500 va is what I would choose for this
Good, solid & reliable if a little expensive

Andy

B&H have the 1000AVR on sale till midnight for $79.95! A $35 coupon is applied when you put it in the cart. Just bought 3 for myself.

1 Like

Same here. I do have a couple CyberPower units as well and they're also good. The big advantage of the APC units is compatibility with apcupsd.

Cyberpower soho series gets my vote. Buy the largest capacity you can afford. At some point you'll end up plugging more things into it :smiley:. Biggest advantage is that when it's not charging or having kicked in, it's completely silent.

Are these all big units though? I have to fit this into a not very big cabinet. I have a CyberPower 1350 already for my servers and hubs but it is too big for something like this.

I have to go to Costco tomorrow, I will have a look.

2 Likes

Smallest CyberPower available at 7.1 x 4.3 x 3.2 inches:

I have a few different Cyberpower models in use here and even more at customer sites. But I've not used this particular model before.

How can I tell how long it will stay powered on in a power outage?

As a UPS gets older, the batteries (unless replaced) have less capability. I've got one of the 425VA models that's a couple of days over 4 years old that's powering a router, access point, and a very inefficient cablemodem that lasted right at an hour last week during a longer outage. It's being replaced today with a 1500VA... assuming UPS gets the new UPS here on time which is likely since it shows "out for delivery". You should be able to get hours out of the 350VA when new if the only thing on it is the Hubitat.

I want to put my router DIR-890 and my cable modem. And yes, I want it to last for more than an hour.

Should have wattage requirements on the backs of your equipment then just plug it into something like this.

Router and cable modem changes the equation. Cable modems are notorious for being power hogs (at least the models I and my customers have). But you also want a mini UPS that will keep them up for hours. I'm betting you have to give up one of the requirements of time up or physical size. Me? I'm adding replacing the 350VA with a 1500VA UPS. Yeah, it's big and bulky comparatively. But not really that much bigger and will keep my network alive considerably longer.

Since setting up the Hubitat, I've been logging the power requirements for several items in the house. I've got 5 of the Iris 3210-L smart plugs coming and if I remember correctly, they support metering power usage. I may temporarily put them on my network devices to get a baseline of the power requirements.

I've seen "konnected" has a mini backup power supply that I'm considering for the Router and the Hub. They also have a lot of other accessories such as relays, adapters, power supplies, ect... that could be useful. https://konnected.io/collections/in-stock-now?page=1

I was looking at that also because I have one on my konnected but I you would need one for each.

Would this work to power the hub

#Aliexpress £15.26 52%OFF | 30000mAh ROMOSS Sense 8+ Power Bank Portable External Battery With PD Two-way Fast Charging Portable Powerbank Charger For Phone
https://a.aliexpress.com/_UPSJU

The problem for some powerbanks is being able to charge at the same time as they were powering something and there isn't anything at this site that indicates it can do this. Not all can. The 30000mAh is overkill unless you routinely have week long power outages. :wink:
I got a very very inexpensive powerbank that does do charge and discharge simultaneously. I would try some you can pick up locally that have a decent return policy if they don't work as you need.

1 Like