I need some input on the aeotec 6 doorbell

LOL

I just found and read his explanation.. seconds before I saw your reply.. Thanks!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I'm going to pour back over this when I get home this evening.
Some very good points here. Thank you!

Sure hope you remember your keys. With your doorbell not working, you might have a tough time getting anyone's attention.

1 Like

I have one of those perfectly working Schlage z-wave connect locks. I got this. :grin:

2 Likes

The Zooz Multisiren and Aeotec Doorbell 6 both have built-in drivers that support the chime and siren functionality.

The Aeotec Doorbell 6 is the only chime/siren I've worked with where I haven't seen the stuttering/skipping issue happen, but some users still have that problem with this device.

The biggest complaint about the doorbell is related to the battery reporting, but I've explained that issue in detail on a few other topics for this device.

3 Likes

@april.brandt

I have 2 of the Aeotec siren 6. I did not opt for the doorbell version because I prefer to fully automate rather than rely on people pushing a button. For example, someone knocked on the door this morning a good 10 seconds after the doorbell chimes played being triggered by motion sensors. I also have a Ring doorbell (eventually to be removed) that wasn't even touched by them and delivery drivers often drop off packages without ever considering ringing or knocking on the door.

As for the Aeotec Siren 6 itself, it's worked exceedingly well for me so far. Besides using it as an automated door bell and HSM alarm siren, I also use the chimes for other notifications. For example, I use the sound number 30 - Door Open (which sounds like elevator door tones) to signal when HSM has been disabled by digitally unlocking the front door deadbolt.

One other thing that I found surprising is that the Siren 6 is also a pretty good Z-wave repeater. Look at the number to the right of the label in the graphic below. The N value is the number of Z-wave neighbors. Nothing else in my house (currently) has a higher neighbor count.

Please bear in mind that my house is very small. So if I have a small house where I can hear the doorbell sound in every room from a single Siren 6, why do I have 2? Redundancy. I tend to keep spares of most devices and in this case, why not put it active? The only negative is that the playing of a chime on both devices may at times be slightly out of sync. That's not a big deal to me personally.

Bill

1 Like

I have my Aeotec 6 chime/siren set up in a similar way, with a Xiaomi motion detector instead of a door bell/button. It's great. Works very reliably. The only issue I had is that because the sensor is quite close to the door, when leaving the house the chime also triggered. I fixed this by putting a Xiaomi contact sensor on the door, delaying the motion trigger by a second and then using RM to ensure the chime didn't go off if the door was already open. Works perfectly. I've had several visitors quite alarmed when they hear the door bell/chime sound inside the house as they approach and they didn't press any button :smile:

Angus,

I too use the contact sensor on my front door to keep the chime from going off when I leave the house. There's no 1 second delay required on mine because there is a storm door that blocks the motion sensors from seeing me exiting until well after the front door contact sensor is already open.

I also have the motion sensors to only set off the chime when I'm home (using an arrival sensor) and to send a notification instead when I'm not. When I get a notification on my phone, I can then remotely view the front porch cameras to see who (or sometimes what) is on the front porch.

Another use I have for the chime related to the front door is when the KeyWe deadbolt is opened via a code on the keypad or NFC chip, it turns off HSM and then dings (sounding like an elevator door) the chime to indicate HSM is disarmed. The lock code lets my son have access to the house when I'm not here without setting off the HSM alarm or having to carry a sensor, remote, or other device.

1 Like