I Need Advice On Weather Stations

802.11b is from 1999. if your router is newer than that, it probably does support it. Im not too goot on parsing that sort of stuff (there are plenty here who are, hopefully one of them will step in), but my gut tells me you should be fine if you have a somewhat modern router.
From Lifewire:

1 Like

When an 802.11b device connects to a modern 2.4GHz network, I think it can slow down anything else that’s connected to a crawl.

I just read that on the interwebs as well.

Perhaps wifi can be turned off so that it only communicates directly with the sensors?

If you get this one, you don't need any other gateway - it will work as the gateway for local Hubitat access. And it is 802.11n compatible.

Plus, it's a color TFT display :smile:

2 Likes

That's the one that's coming with my weather station.
I was hoping to get a light-duty satellite station just quickly read conditions in another room.

1 Like

I think you will need it on WiFi for initial configuration, but not after that ...... or you could use an old tablet with the ecowitt Android/iOS app?

1 Like

Reading the manual, I actually don't think so.
The manual says something about Time Zone, etc needed for Internet publishing. Also for firmware updates.
But maybe, this is why it's $39.
Of course...there's shipping.

1 Like

If it’s anything like the other Ecowitt consoles, when used purely as a direct RF receiver for sensors, it should display stuff automatically, or at least can be configured on the device.

WiFi would be needed to upload to Hubitat, or to upgrade firmware.

I’m using one of their color consoles for its local display in the kitchen; it’s connected to WiFi but not Hubitat, since I also have a GW1100 and use that as my gateway.

2 Likes

It wont work without wifi if you want it to report to hubitat. It uses its own freq to communicate from sensors to the base. But in order to reach the hubitat it has to be set up on wifi.

1 Like

Could two consoles be used at the same time?
Can there be only one gateway at a time, but both connected to wifi? Something like that?
I'm thinking I could add the more recent WN1980 to the HP2560C that came with it.

Also just for your info the ecowitt wh31 sensors are the best for wine fridges etc. You can have them report as often as each minute. (I have mine setup for 3 minutes) and due to the two aa batteries they last over a year.

Havent tried them in a freezer though.

Plus the ecowitt.net site has nice graphs of everything if you let it go to the cloud. Ie

2 Likes

Are the wh31 sensors suitable for outdoor use?
It's kinda hard to tell from the literature, so far in my reading.

Yes i have mine outdoor all winter but direct sun can skew temps recommend something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Technology-925-1418-Sensor-Protection/dp/B00VSXENM4/ref=sr_1_7?crid=2II7YQ4JTE7E6

I put my single wh32 in them as well.

2 Likes

Do you have outdoor temperature also reported by your sensor array (WS69?)?
Can the two outdoor temp readings be supported?

No my outdoor comes from the wh32 of which you can only have one but up to 8 of the other wh varieties

Summary

1 Like

Ok, thanks.
I'm going to stick with the outdoor temp from the sensor array and order a wh31 with that wn1980_C display.
I'll have something to play with while waiting for the the station to make its way via the proverbial slow boat from China.

Whs need the base station. To work.

1 Like

Have you thought about something like this for your hot tub?
wn34l. (link did not work)

edit: Oops. It only goes to 140F. Is that high enough for a hot tub? I wouldn't know.

Yes that's what i have in the hot tub. Works better than the wh32s i used to have. Those would degrade over months. I think the chemicals screwed up the thin plastic covered wire probe in those.

But we were talking about my wood burning sauna in mich. Nothing goes hot enough.

1 Like