I Need Advice On Weather Stations

As long as the Ecowitt gateway has the option to upload data to a custom server (which I believe they all can), then it can integrate with Hubitat.

I’ve never looked into it in detail, but I suspect that’s incorrect.

I would guess the Wittboy design is a knockoff of the Tempest. IIRC the Tempest was brought to market at least a year or two before the Wittboy was released.

yes tempest is NOT made by ecowitt

1 Like

As I said based on looks. Both made in China. We know once one company gets a design over there, they all start making the same thing. Maybe the same company had to wait X period of time before releasing their version of it too. You are correct, the Tempest did come out a t least a year (probably longer) before the Wittboy. I think the Wittboy was released in 2022.

Yes. Mine has been pretty accurate. If you are close to a commercial airport, or an airport that has a lot of large jet traffic, be aware it can pick up those jets taking off as lightning. They do disclose that in the listing on their website. I live 9 miles from Alliance Fort Worth airport (Primarily cargo with FedEx and Prime Air hubs), and I found quickly that it was picking up those flights (9 miles away, multiple times a day, at even times (0 or 5's, i.e., 1300, 1310, 1315). When I set up my alerts, I just set them to alert for 1-8 and 10- 25 miles.

1 Like

Well, I went with this one. Here's hoping everything goes smoothly.

4 Likes

That is the other one I have been debating. I’ve been down to that or the Wittboy. Knowing the Wittboy is compatible with that display, I may end up going that route.

I will say their community isn’t as active as this one. Pretty much just a place to ask questions and they answer. Not much in the way of dialog or discussion.

1 Like

I think you said you lived in a relatively warm area, so maybe this doesn't concern you.
I live in upstate NY, where winters are relatively cold and snowy.

I.dont.know.if that diaplay.works with hubitat i think you need the ws100 1100 etc.

Oh well. I still like the display. :slight_smile:

I just use the built in ecowitt dashboard and.display it on a cheap Android tablet.

3 Likes

@sburke781 could probably tell you if that HP2550_C console is supported, but if it isn’t, I believe you could pick up a GW1101 to connect it to hubitat. That will listen and pick up all the data that the display receives. My understanding is the ecowitt gateways/displays will listen for any devices they are compatible with, as they aren’t paired to the gateways in the way we are used to thinking (for example) a Zwave or Zigbee device is. It is entirely possible if you have a neighbor close enough using Ecowitt devices you could be picking up the data from their devices rather than your own (this happened to me).

2 Likes

I suspect it will work. If @velvetfoot hadn't purchased it already I would double-check this with EcoWitt, but the mention of the "Customized (Homeseer; Homeassistant;)" services on the site @velvetfoot linked earlier makes me think it will be fine. I tested my GW1000 a little while ago with the HA integration and it worked fine, so I expect the data format will be the same and work with the HE driver. I guess time will tell.

4 Likes

It does. You can configure the same custom server options in the WS view mobile app as the GW1000.

5 Likes

I wonder if it would be possible to put in another satellite console, such as this, along with the main console? For local readings elsewhere in the house.

From what I understand, as long as it shows that it is compatible with the weather station you bought, and it's on the same frequency, it should be. When I first started using Ecowitt stuff, one of my neighbors had an Ecowitt AQI sensor, and my GW1101 was picking it up. when I dug into it, what I was told was it (and the consoles) will pick up anything within range, even if another gateway or console is in use.

1 Like

I wouldn't have to report to the web or even wifi for the satellite...just local.

I'm thinking along the lines of my current dumb accurite where I have one outdoor sensor and two "consoles", in different rooms.

The actual weather station you bought is the WS69, based table I posted above (from Ecowitts website) it should be compatible.

The satellite display would use Wi-Fi to pick up the data from the WS69. but you shouldn't need to go through the web for it to work.

Accurite uses that Channel A, B, C thing. Ecowitt is slightly different. It broadcasts on 915Mhz frequency, and anything that is capable of receiving the signal in range can display the data (hence why I was picking up my neighbors AQI sensor) .

1 Like

I'll try sending them an email.

1 Like

I had asked a similar question previously in their community, this is the answer I got, which explains (I think) what you are asking.

I just came across this for the WN1900_C:
"WiFi works on 802.11b Slow mode only."
I checked my router, and as far as I can tell, it doesn't support this.
Then again, if I don't care about WIFI, and only local for this satellite display, why should I care?