I need 2 off's and 2 on's

OK I have automation that runs in my man cave. turns on lights (man cave ceiling light) on motion. I would like to be able to use the light switch (man cave ceiling light) to also signal when to enable/disable said automation.

here is what I've tried or at least the most promising..

basically watch for two off's in 30 sec turn off automation two on's in 30 sec turn on automation.
I can see the trigger event on the man cave switch everytime i press it. but do not see the rule trigger the second time.

I guess my question is is what I'm attempting possible?

Depends on the driver. Most in-box drivers suppress duplicate on/off events. So the first step in this would be to see if it logs the duplicate on/off events in the device logs. It probably won't.

If it does not, then you can't do what you are looking for, and should consider changing the wall switch out to a device that supports doubletap, tripletap, or scenes natively.

Homeseer devices do, GE zwave plus devices do (takes a user driver - in box one does not support the doubletap events), etc.

i do see multiple events on the switch on on and off off. I know the switch is a GE.. not sure if it a z-wave plus version :< I tried the GE zwave dimmer plus driver and got errors when turning it on/off. I'm not there to pull switch and look at model number. so I'm assuming that switch is just a GE zwave dimmer and I'm out of luck. unless i swap the switch with another room with newer switch.

Doesn't work that way....the switch capability is only for one switch. So, that isn't going to work. Is this a community driver or a native driver? If it's native, you are SOL because you cannot modify native drivers.
If you're using a community driver, then you can modify the driver to add another capability. I like using the Tamper Sensor (since I don't use it anywhere else). What you would do is add that capability along with the relevant commends. Then you could use that capability as a condition in your rules.

Getting the double-tap to work is not going to give you another switch within the driver that you can toggle though. If you want the driver to have something else that you can key off of, you have to use a separate capability. Otherwise you would have to use a rule to capture the double-tap and set a global variable or something.