I need 2-3 contact sensors for doors. Suggestions?

Those smart thing multi sensors look good, no? Also, I use makerapi and homekit as my main front end, it that matter. I don’t THINK extras like temperature sensor features translate over maker api, or do they?

I have a few different ones. do you care if its zwave or zigbee? and how accurate do you need them? you looking to do a lot of lights on / off type stuff or more for general security and information? some report slower than others.

I almost strictly want them for light on/off

I have a few of these zigbee ones from sengled. they seem to report reliably and quick. i use these for light on/ off stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QHDXQXJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

Thank you

MakerAPI will report all stock and custom attributes that the device reports. Like the rest of Hubitat, it doesn't know that you happen to consider it primarily a contact sensor. :slight_smile: However, if there are attributes (or entire capabilities) you want to exclude from HomeKit, you can do that in your HomeBridge config file.

The Iris v2 contact sensors were my favorite, but they are hard to find now. I have a couple of the new (2018) ST Mutlisensors, but it looks like the Sengled sensors (which I've never used) are cheaper if you don't need the extra features those provide.

Good luck!

I have a whole bunch of the Visonic MCT-340 E sensors in my house.

https://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/visonic-mct-340-e-wireless-door-window-temperature-sensor-2.4ghz-zigbee-now-works-natively-with-samsung-smartthings-hub/

Thank you, I have a SmartThings button and makerapi doesn’t send the temperature . I wonder why

For exterior doors I really like the Aeotec Recessed Door sensors.. I only have V5 but they work really well. Nice and unobtrusive.

I second this. Those recessed sensors are so nice and unobtrusive. The latest model is Z-Wave 700 too so battery will last very long.

Stay away from the Monoprice recessed Hank ones. Don't get me started on those...

I have Aeotec Recessed sensors in both V5 and V7. The V5s are good and V7 seems even better (although, to be fair to Aeotec, I must note that the first V7 unit was defective - ate batteries like crazy).

However, I also have Ecolink sensor on the storm door, and for the reliability and battery life, it will beat Aeotec Recessed V5 hands down.
The Ecolink does look a little ugly but it all depends on you application.

Visonic MCT-350. 5 year battery life, and can be found cheap (usually ~$15/ea) on eBay. Since Xfinity uses them on their home automation offering, some people get them for "free" and then turn around and sell them on eBay.... lol

https://www.visonic.com/Products/Zigbee-based-detectors/zigbee-intrusion-detector/magnetic-door-window-sensor-mct-350

Just to add some options to what some of the others have recommended,

Sensative Strips: They are hidden. Work nicely. Standard z-wave. Can't replace the battery but it will last a long time. I think they say 5+ years. I have one of these on one of my doors where the traditional sensor didn't look nice and I didn't want to drill in a recessed sensor.

Ring Contact Sensors: There is a driver for them. Good price. Standard z-wave protocol. I think they use the newer chips. Can be paired directly with the hub.

Xiaomi Contact Sensor: Don't bother. Not worth the agrivation for the cheap price. I have a bunch of these running nicely but it took me a while to get them stable. Others have issues.

Smartthings Contact sensors: Zigbee. People like them. Good price. Don't look as nice as the others as they are not hidden.

1 Like

I 2nd the Iris V2 sensors. I bought a bunch on sale before Lowe's dropped it. Pretty reliable and decent battery life.

I just added a contact/temperature sensor to HomeKit via the MakerAPI. Here’s what it looks like in HomeKit.

Thank you, I added something wrong, I will investigate

FWIW, I have several types, some NEOs which are Zwave Plus (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QDS5DZ4?tag=duckduckgo-brave-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1), and some Smarthings multisensor ones (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F956F3B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) . I like the Smart Things ones much better. That's completely subjective, they both work well. The Domes seem to have a crazy long battery life, but they are fairly large.

The Ring Alarm contact sensors are pretty inexpensive. If you don't need temperature too, then they're fast and reliable, albeit a bit big.

There are the Ring Alarm 2 contact sensors made by Leedarson. Maybe we'll have drivers for those too soon? They're much smaller and are Z-Wave 700 so don't need the bigger battery.

The gen 2 are HUGE!! I wonder why
Edit: so are the gen 1

They look about the same size as the latest SmartThings Multisensors to me. Was there a different reference image you were looking at? That size in Z-Wave is unusual. It's only because of the more efficient 700 series that it's feasible.

Edit: Pretty close to the same, but actually a bit smaller

Ring
1.56" x 2.09" x 0.55"

SmartThings
1.72" x 2.04" x 0.54"

1 Like