I must be missing the obvious

I have an OSRAM RGBW strip connected and working and I just paired a RGB Genie but I can't for the life of me figure out how to control the strip with the controller. I have all the child devices so I think it's paired correctly. What is the piece of the puzzle that I'm missing here?

Thanks!

I should have said I see it says something about binding the strip to the controller and to put the strip into initiator mode but I can't find out how that is done for this device.

There are lots of RGBGenie models out there, so exactly what you want may differ among them, but the Mirror app built-in to Hubitat may help:

This is assuming you want to involve the hub in the automation. I'm not sure what kind of Zigbee-to-Zigbee (TouchLink) capabilities might be usable with the Osram while keeping the Osram on Hubitat (a risk in and of itself if you haven't heard, but I digress) if you have a Zigbee RGBGenie model, though that may also be a possibility and could be what you saw in the manual; of course,if you have a Z-Wave, then using the hub is your only option (as long as you're using Osrams; Z-Wave Association or the device as a secondary controller--not sure how these work there--may otherwise be possible). Depending on your device, setting up Button Controller or a Rule to respond to device events and manipulate the bulb accordingly may also work.

This is a ZB-5028. The OSRAM has been connected to the hub and is working fine I was just looking for a handier way to control it but still be able to let the hub control it as well. I'll email RGB Genie and see if they have some ideas. Thanks!

Mirror/Mirror Me is probably the app you want for that, so I'd check it out. They are reported to have good support and one of the founders is pretty active here, so I'm sure you'll get good advice from them, too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I'll take a look the docs for the device seem to indicate that it and the light strip can be joined to the zigbee network and then both can also be bound together via some other binding but I can't get that mode enabled on the OSRAM so I'll see if mirror will do the trick or not. Thanks.

Yup that did the trick. Works like a champ!

Yeah, this is theoretically possible on Zigbee via TouchLink, but that's a Zigbee Light Link-specific (I think...) feature that doesn't always play well with all devices if you're on a Zigbee Home Automation network like Hubitat, though it would probably work if you want to forget about using the remote as a device on Hubitat. But then I'm not sure the hub would get updated bulb states, or at least I've seen that on other devices where I've tried this. It's also sometimes difficult to get them "TouchLinked" without stealing pairing for the bulb away from the hub. Generally, it's tricky. :slight_smile: I generally like to involve the hub like it seems you are now. But their support may have other ideas or experiences.

Otherwise, glad you got it working!

Will play with it more tonight when it's dark but seems like it's working great.

Edit boy if you took that reply out of context.... :joy: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :innocent:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.