I’m considering moving all my stuff to hassio and using Hubitat for all my automations. Few questions

1. Has anyone done this? What are the cons?
  2. Would automations be noticeably slower since the have to go h.a then to h.e?
  3. I’m using a raspberry pi 4 4gb, what zigbee usb stick would you recommend?
  4. I’m using a micro sd and am terrified, would a cheap $15 ssd work well? https://www.amazon.com/Internal-Multi-Purpose-Portable-External-Interface/dp/B09KTWN9ZB/ref=sr_1_20?crid=18HR9KBZP2I2&keywords=250+gb+external+ssd&qid=1689365217&sprefix=%2Caps%2C64&sr=8-20

My reason is I LOVE the automation apps like button controller and rule machine but adding zigbee devices and cloud device apps like “bond” really seem to have slowed h.e down.

Thank you

The Bond integration is local.

I would suggest placing Hubitat-incompatible zigbee devices on HA. And importing them back into Hubitat using HADB. Leave everything else on Hubitat.

6 Likes

Thank you

1 Like

So how about apps like caseta and bond?

Lutron is local - it uses telnet direct from Hubitat to Lutron hub. Bond is also local, as @aaiyar said.

3 Likes

As per what other have written, it's the addition of all sorts on Lan integrations that may have slowed down your Hub. Consider moving those things (e.g. Amazon Alexa interface, Google Home Interface, Denon/Yamaha integration, etc.) into Home Assistant.
I suspect that the next iteration of Hubitat will have a lot more memory than the current one does - which will speed up those type of integrations on Hubitat.

My apologies.
I did mean Cloud integrations, not Lan Integrations.
(slip of the fingers....)

Is bond and Lutron considered lan?

Yes, but I think @jtmpush18 meant was cloud, not LAN integrations.

3 Likes

Oh, thx

Sort of. You don’t say what you’re planning on moving. I have all my Xiaomi and IKEA devices on home assistant, but I still have many Zigbee devices, and all of my Z wave devices on Hubitat.

No

ConBee II. Since you have the option to, I would highly recommend that you get a USB extension and put it up high, away from the raspberry pi and other sources of interference.

Don’t use a cheap SD card. You will regret it. I am using a Sandisk High Endurance micro SD card and I’ve had no problems. However, I do have it auto back-up to a google drive every single day. You may want to consider adding an SSD, but so far it hasn’t been necessary for me personally. Time will tell in that regard. However, in regard to the cheap SSD, I don’t think I would do that either. I’ve had bad experiences with cheap SSDs failing just as easily as a cheap SD card. Back up is extremely important and really quite easy to do with Home Assistant. You can set it to back up locally and in the cloud for free. You could even set it to back up to a NAS, and in the cloud, and locally.

5 Likes

Don’t use cheap SD cards with Home Assistant, I had one that completely broke after several months of using it with InflixDB and Grafana .. : (

Out of curiosity, which are the Zigbee devices that you have and that will not work paired directly to Hubitat?

1 Like

I just got a windfall of free Aqara gear

1 Like

I'm about to publish a driver for Aqara Cube T1 Pro today...
What Aqara toys are you experiencing issues with Hubitat?

(I don't discourage you from using Home Assistant, it is a great home automation system! I use both HE and HA)

1 Like

@kkossev Has done a lot of work around Aqara devices. Free to try of course.

My Aqara devices have been worry free on HA with the ConBee 2. I originally used the ZHA integration, and later rejoined everything with the Zigbee2MQTT integration for a larger and more feature rich device support catalog.

It’s possible you may not need HA if all you’re trying to achieve is stability with Aqara devices, and you end up getting that with @kkossev ‘s drivers. But there’s no denying that HA does have a crazy number of available integrations and compatible devices due to the massive number of contributors. Having both hubs at your disposal is about as close to untethered and easy to automate (Thanks to Basic Rules and Rule Machine) home automation available.

2 Likes

None yet. My package is still in transit. My main concern is the e1 curtain robot

I don't have a solution for Aqara E1 Curtain Robot - this is one of the cases where a particular non-standard device is best handled by Z2M.

1 Like

Thank you, can the actual e1 hub be integrated?

I’m not aware of an integration, but why bother with it when Z2M works with the E1 Curtain you’re concerned about, and you then have every other device capability that Z2M and HA have, not just Aqara devices?

1 Like

@frmWink2Hubitat This very device was the subject that led to Z2M for others too. If you read down the thread a bit, there an embedded thread link where I described what I needed to do when I installed my mosquito broker on another computer for MQTT. But in that same sub-thread is a link to a really good explanation of how to get it all setup on your HA Raspberry Pi, with no need to run the broker somewhere else if you don’t want to.

The HA forums would be a better place to ask this.

But, yes, I use an inexpensive $17 240GB SSD for HA. But I went with a name brand (Kingston):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5IB20Q/

FWIW, all of my Zigbee and Z-wave devices are on Hubitat. I only use HA for some HA/Homekit local integrations that aren't yet available here (Ecobee and Aqara FP2).

2 Likes