I like my Hubitat but it’s been an exciting but rough week on the forums 😊

He completely made them up / WAG (wild ■■■ guess).

The hardware costs are easy to determine, the # sold isn't public knowledge.

He also doesn't know if the 7 people he quoted work full time or part time for hubitat.

1 Like

I think it's also safe to assume they have some other funding source, and are not relying on hub sales to keep the electricity running or put food on the table.

2 Likes

If only the seven admins/staff had to split that, it’s only roughly 46,428 each. That’s not much to be throwing a party over. And with all that math, I’m believe I’m being super generous.

So buy 2 units like I did - 1 for upstairs and one for downstairs!!! If you have a smaller place buy 2 as well - one for production and one for backup/dev/testing! Support local control and awesome devs & support personnel!

:wink::beers:

3 Likes

Actually, I would be a grump and say no one should buy another hub until they say what is going to be in the new/upcoming one. :grinning:

1 Like

Clearly you misunderstand - you buy 2 more after the new hubs come out..

:rofl:

All kidding aside if there is a compelling reason to do so I would absolutely buy a new hub even though I now own 2 of the current model - probably start with one and see how it goes. I'd give the old one to my dad who loves to tinker as much as I do.

One thing for sure is that the old hubs will still be useful over the long term even if they are no longer supported thanks to local control. This again is a major reason for going with HE.

2 Likes

I've got my development hub, and my main hub - so I'm good.

I have no issues with coverage in my 2 story 4000 sqft house work one centrally located hub. So far. :grinning:

@marktheknife the 5k device count was just me generously guessing. I know when I bought my hub last year and I was order 1400. I “guesstimated” they at least doubled sales since then, and gave them a few more thousand :blush:

The math stuff wasn’t to be specific, it was to show that this isn’t something ran and supported by a big vendor (Samsung, Google, Amazon).

1 Like

My house is a bit smaller than yours and for the brief moment that both hubs were working it was awesome. My basement (main) hub is still running fine which is why I'm kinda glad I incorporated the 2 hubs into "production".

Most devices on my main hub have been migrated over from ST and are older Z-Wave devices with some Z-Wave+ and Zigbee stuff including bulbs and various old ST sensors thrown in.

The "upstairs" hub had/will have mostly all Z-Wave+ devices - Zooz switches, Aeotec Multisense 6 sensors and a few zigbee devices as well.

I could probably pair the upstairs stuff with the main hub but the last time I did that I had issues like ghosts, slow performance etc and had to reset everything (do NOT want to do that again).

Since the firmware has been updated the situation is probably different now BUT I found I like/liked running both hubs - felt the system was a bit more reliable and responsive because resources were distributed and all related devices closer to the hubs, reducing range issues and the # hops.

Could just be my imagination of course..

1 Like

viva la hubitat

5 Likes

Just keep in mind that you can't transfer EVERYTHING from one hub to the other. Complex devices like thermostats will only transfer temperature, for instance, with Hub Link.

So running two production hubs does take some thought and coordination for some - especially in scenarios where they want to do whole home coordination apps.

Not a huge limitation, but something to consider.

1 Like

Yeah my plan was to keep communication between the two to a bare minimum. I think keeping all apps running locally using local devices on each is the way to go. I was planning on maybe syncing modes though - using the main as the "master" that sets the mode via rules etc and updating it on the upstairs hub.

If I need any complex device access I think I can control those via virtual devices if necessary (maybe dimmer for temp setting and such) or via maker api and some sort of custom device.

Yup, I think you have a great plan. :slight_smile:

I'm mainly doing my driver/app development on my second hub, but I may start to move some production functions to it at some point.

For instance I have a room temperature balancing custom app with Ecobee devices and Keen vents, so I may just move my Ecobee Integration to the 2nd hub altogether.

1 Like

Getting a little off topic here but how do you like the Keen vents?

Was thinking about getting some.. Also I have to say @Cobra's average temp app is great! For the upstairs as I mentioned - I have a bunch of Aeotec Multisense 6's mainly for closet motion lighting. Using his app was able to gather the average temp for the entire 2nd floor.. very cool in so many nerdy ways..

1 Like

I AM a nerd :slight_smile:

1 Like

Keen vents are awesome for balancing room temps. I would say adding automated vents for saving $$$ / efficiency does not work very well, though. When you start closing off vents in unused rooms, most HVAC units get less efficient anyway, thus limiting any real efficiency benefits.

So it is very good for comfort improvement, not effective for efficiency improvement.

For instance in my house I have a LOT of windows. Even though they are low-e (and tinted), rooms that are directly in the sun get warmer than those that don't. And as the sun moves from one side of the house to the other, which room is the hottest also changes. So coupled with having a temp sensor in each room, the vents have been AWESOME in managing that.

Batteries last 6-12 months.

They do have over pressure protection to prevent you wrecking your HVAC from too much back pressure, but you should still think your way through that and ensure you don't close too many vents at once - manual or automated.

In my case, my main system is a multi zone setup, and has a mechanical high pressure bypass built into the air handler, so I don't have to worry about it.

1 Like

While this feature is promoted, it in fact doesn't work in any way shape or form, and it's certainly not built into the hardware.
If you have real concerns about your systems static pressures, you should install a differential pressure sensor in your system.
I've posted extensively about these devices on another HA forum, so I'm not going to rehash all of that here.

2 Likes

Good to note.

I happen to have a continuous differential pressure sensor in both of my HVAC units...

And I can say that the one time I (accidentally) closed all Keen vents at the same time on one of my units, one opened back up on its own... Could be coincidence, don't know - and I'm not going to intentionally test it :smile: ...

Regardless, I do agree that it shouldn't be relied upon.

Fair warning thank you! Will look up your old posts.

Would only replace one or two rooms that get overly hot/cold not everywhere.

E.

That's a good way to do it.