I just bought a House with a Hubitat how do I register it to me?

I just bought a House with a Hubitat how do I register it to me? The previous owners unlocked the Hub so I can view it on my network but I cannot register it to myself. Anytime I want to make a change or update I have to click the "find" feature and then look at it that way. I can see the devise is still registered to the previous owner's email. There are already a lot of devises connected, all with some amount of automation. I cannot find anything out about registering an active divice. Please help. Thank you.

@support_team

2 Likes

We've seen messages on this forum by people selling their homes with Hubitat left behind where they have created a new Email account somewhere (eg: gmail) for the home. They then went to the work of transferring "ownership to the home". They shoulda/woulda given you the email and password for that.

There's no way for us to know if your sale falls into that. Go to Settings: Hub Details and along the bottom will be Emails linked to this Hub:

Screenshot 2023-07-18 at 10.54.18 AM

along with the Role for each. I mention that because if I was moving into a new home and saw a slip of paper from the previous owner.. I'd put it "in a safe place" only to forget where I put it 4 days later when I can finally turn to thinking about Hubitat. Maybe the email in the Hub will ring a bell.

4 Likes

Thank you! I can see it is still there email. Once I get the password can I update the email?

Was just thinking about the eventuality of such an event the other day; specifically what's best to "leave behind", a layer of widely common Lutron stuff (bridge etc.) vs straight Hubitat and an array of conforming devices.

...and how much of the automation that's been done on one's property someone would just throw their hands up in the air and scrap....or otherwise WISH wasn't a "black box overlord" on the house they just bought.

Thinking about some opportunity in this for Hubitat-

I wonder it would be a "transfer service" Hubitat could offer where seller pays for 6 months of say:

a) general registration transfer/handholding assistance
b) a temporary email address @hubitat for the hub(s) pending full transfer of registration
c) phone support to new owner to aid in onboarding so they aren't totally on their own after sale
d) could see requiring/bundling the full suite of Hubitat subscription offerings as a part of this as well.

but "c" would be the scariest depths to fathom as where & how would you draw the line between High Level HE onboarding vs dealing with some nitty gritty rats nest of configuration of Apps & Devices the prior owner might have contrived.

Yeah, I know...a big chunk of this might be a Pandora's Box. But maybe there's some chunk of this that could be carved out as a helpful transfer-of-ownership service.

3 Likes

If I'm Hubitat, I'm not touching this with a 1000 meter pole. Too many variables in the mix including the possibility of wiring and other irregularities...

5 Likes

Yeah, I get that.....and you are right @thebearmay

They need to de-register the hub from their account, then you need to register it on your account (or make a new one if needed).

If they give you the password (not very smart IMO) I suppose you can just de-register it for them.

4 Likes

Yeah, it wouldn't even occur to me to sell the house with automation installed. I keep all the dumb switches I've replaced on a shelf in the basement so that if we ever move, the smart devices I've invested money in can come with me. The dumb ones will go back in the wall.

3 Likes

Me too, except I didn’t keep the old switches. Nice, new dumb switches in perfectly new condition and exactly matching color will look very nice. Since they are dumb switches it’s a relatively minor expense, especially when compared to the profit earned on selling the house.

3 Likes

Wouldn't it be funny if one day someone bought a house, and the community knew who's it was and was able to help the new owners understand what the last owners did?

4 Likes

That put's a lot of pressure on those much closer to.... that eventuality,,,, than me, :slight_smile: Hopefully there will not be that pressure as I approach that situation :slight_smile: Needing to explain to other the complex web I have woven over the years... My recommendation will likely be... "Just start again.... Trust the Community.... !!!" :grin:

1 Like

All this does remind me though, a while ago I had planned to set up an email address for the House and set everything up at that address. I need to revisit that. Though I do not have any plan to sell my home for at least 8 or 9 years until I retire..

2 Likes