I have two C7 hubs that show the same MAC in a mDNS search

Go to Network in Settings

I am there. There are 5 menu choices. Which one do I pick?

Switch to static IP
Set IP
Set subnet to /20
Set router gateway
Then
Save

IP and Gateway are 192.168.10.y addresses

From post 22:

Been there, it didn't work. I'm hoping rlithgow1 will have something else in mind

Did you change in order as directed?

IP, MASK, then GATEWAY

1 Like

Actually I think a /24 mask is more appropriate.

1 Like

I'm working on this now. The order in which data is entered is critical. I wonder if Hubitat support knows about this.

I've been working on this problem all evening and after re-reading the following quote from a prior post I noticed a logic mismatch in my text. In the text, I am trying to change the gateway address but the error message refers to the IP address, not the gateway. I missed this critical detail and have been thinking about this wrong. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

You have two separate subnets correct? 192.168.0.x and 192.168.10.x ?
And you want to put the hubs on the .10 for "security" ?

How will it be more secure? Is that subnet segregated from from the .0 subnet?
If they are segregated, then how will you connect to the hubs on .10 while your device you are configuring from is on the .0 subnet. (This is what the hub settings page is trying to warn you about).

I mean, is not impossible to do but you need to do a bunch of (probably manual) firewall configurations and its honestly just not worth it.

Hence my prior recommendation to leave them on the main .0 network and not worry about it.

What equipment you have exactly? Make / Model?

4 Likes

Thank you, I am grateful for your help, and for asking questions that have forced me to think more deeply about this problem. Here is a diagram showing the current VLAN configuration.

Here is the topology I am going to try to implement this evening. I am a little nervous about having the hub on my default network, but I don't see any other way forward.

rlithgow1, and TArman
I have had no successand have decided to change my network to accommodate the hub. No matter what I do I get the same error and the hub will not accept any IP address not on the 192.168.0.x network.
Thank you both for helping me with this, I appreciate you taking the time.

I think there is an endpoint to force in a specific static setting to override the warnings, if you are dead set on getting it on that other VLAN could try and find that. If it does not work you would have to do the network reset on the bottom of the hub to clear it.

1 Like

I've set the /hub/allowSubnets?/ to x.x.10.0, and x.x.0.0 and confirmed it with the "192.168.20.0/hub/allowSubnets?" query.
That is where I think I am looking under the wrong rock because the error refers to the IP address, not the subnet.

Your 2 hubs should have 2 separate Mac addresses in the Hub details.

I had this trouble with 2 IP cameras once. Even though both had different Mac addresses on their info stickers on the cameras. I could not see both cameras at the same time on the network I had to have one turned off. I originally had them running through a wireless repeater and the repeater Mac address was the one being given to both cameras.

To fix my issue, I took both cameras offline and deleted their DHCP leases and I give each camera a static IP address with their individual Mac addresses in my router. Then rebooted the router and turned the cameras back on.

This fixed the issue for my cameras, might work for your hubs.

I still am unsure why you're won't let you change. I just changed my one hub to this (my normal network is .2)

I think they are trying to use the gateway on .0.1 but put the hub on subnet with .10.x

@tmpullen do you have a gateway IP for the .10.x subnet? Or are you trying to use the main .0.x gateway? Have you tried blanking out all the boxes then filling in from scratch?

Let me know what you are trying to put in each box and I can test on my dev hub and then just network reset it after.

Thanks to a PM from an anonymous source I found the endpoint where you can force in any settings you want. Have a paperclip handy for the reset button: Static IP Address and DHCP Support for non /24 Subnets - #13 by gopher.ny

2 Likes

The mDNS problem was a ghost that appeared due to a bad app or my incompetence. mDNS seems to be behaving normally. My hubs do have unique MACs both in the Details page and in my routers DHCP list.

LOL, that is also my excuse. :grinning:

Incompetence is preferable to incontinence!

1 Like

Unless you're into that sort of thing, but we don't judge here...

2 Likes